Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Which quiet island in July?

Posted by petrouschka on 27/4/2007 at 02:54

I'm going to Thailand from the 10th of July until the 15th of August and we want to visit a quiet island for two weeks. As the monsoon will be there we thought about koh tao, but it seems that koh tao is full of people nowadays?! Can anybody help me out?!

#1 petrouschka has been a member since 8/4/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by emielvl on 27/4/2007 at 19:45

Koh tao is indeed really busy. I would defintely go to koh phangan. Set yourself on a quiet beach and rent a motorbike for the time you're there and you will have a wonderfull time.
However, at koh tao are also a lot remote beaches like laem thian or tanote bay

#2 emielvl has been a member since 27/4/2007. Posts: 13

Posted by ike on 28/4/2007 at 04:34

hi
i'll be in thailand 15-22 august. arriving from tokyo to bangkok 15 august, around midnight. probably stay over night and then travel southeast
would like some rest on an island and see some sights.
had thought about koh samui or ko phangan. is this best during monsoon season?
if so can you recommend a good place to stay on ko phangan (bungalow) and best way to get there? seemed like maenam beach could be a nice place to stay on koh samui.
thanks! great site btw!!

#3 ike has been a member since 27/4/2007. Posts: 7
 Send ike a private message 

Posted by newbie419 on 28/4/2007 at 20:46

Hey ike,
I just booked a bungalow on Koh Phangan called Mai Pen Rai Bungalows. It is basic and inexpensive (600baht) and had a laid back and funky look to it. You can choose from bungalows right on the beach, on the rocks overlooking the ocean or on the river. They have a website with lots of pics and info. www.thansadet.com
If coming from Maenam beach, you can take a longtail taxi directly to the beach (Than Sadet), or you can take a ferry from a few ports on Samui into the main port at phangan and a taxi from there to than sadet. All the info is on the site.
Good luck!

#4 newbie419 has been a member since 5/2/2007. Posts: 10

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/4/2007 at 21:28 admin

419 -- funny we just updated our coverage on that very beach (Than Sadet), and Mai Pen Rai did indeed get a great writeup. It's a relaxed very laid back spot, but I like the balcony restaurant up at Plaa's even more.

Have fun!

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by newbie419 on 28/4/2007 at 21:31

Thats great to hear somtam, thanks!

#6 newbie419 has been a member since 5/2/2007. Posts: 10

Posted by petrouschka on 28/4/2007 at 22:16

As we're leaving with three kids we're thinking about taking two bungalows. At Mai Pen Rai they have family bungulows up on the rocks, but I'm afraid of the hight... Does anybody knows this place?

#7 petrouschka has been a member since 8/4/2007. Posts: 6

Posted by ike on 29/4/2007 at 00:09

thanks so much!
last questions, could you recommend a hotel close to the intl airport to leave right away to the south or taking an extra day to gather a bit of culture in the city of angels before heading to an island?
lastly, i gather the weather on the Southeastern coast is better than on the Southwestern in august, in your experience and with all the climate shifts, is that still so?

#8 ike has been a member since 27/4/2007. Posts: 7
 Send ike a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.