Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travelling with Toddler any advice?

Posted by jjinlondon on 6/9/2012 at 07:43

Had a bit of a spontaneous moment and gave notice on our flat leaving us homeless and deciding to go off travelling in Asia (mainly thailand) with a 3 year old in tow. I know its a bit out of the norm but wondered if anyone out there had any advise to give? We are wondering things like whether we can easily get triple rooms, whether to take a lightweight car seat, whether to dump buggy and get a material sling etc etc.

Also was thinking Koh Lanta for Xmas, anyone know if its a family sort of place. We're obviously staying away from full moon parties, although would loooove to go to one!!! :(

#1 jjinlondon has been a member since 6/9/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by RiniRabbit on 7/9/2012 at 04:10

Hi
Koh Lanta If you like quiet places I recommend Ba Kan Tieng beach it pretty far but beautiful and Klong Nin beach is nice aswell.
I think it's good to stay in Lanta , most people always think about Phi Phi , Phuket ,those islands have many people visit there all year, Koh Lanta it's not that bad I saw firefly at night in Ba Kan Tieng it was Amazing! If you wake up early morning you will see nice view around there and don't miss 'Lanta Pizza' near Baan SalaDan yummy.
(=

#2 RiniRabbit has been a member since 31/7/2012. Posts: 78

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 7/9/2012 at 12:06

kids under 11 are normally free with existing beds if you dont mind sharing. otherwise you can get one with a daybed or pay extra

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 7/9/2012 at 12:28

And yeah, forget the buggy. The kid is big enough to walk anyway. The streets are not stroller friendly. Sidewalks, when they exist, are for vendors to set up stalls.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 9/9/2012 at 09:36

If I was going with a 3yo I'd avoid the busy areas. Lanta, Ngai, Krabi would be good.

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by bronzedwarrior on 10/9/2012 at 07:26

I'd recommend Lanta too.

In fact, having an 11 month old myself, I'd be interested on how you get on if you do go. We used to travel a lot but since our son was born, we haven't even contemplated it.

I love the island. Its very family friendly, from the sandy, sheltered beaches to the guesthouses and restaurants and whilst its too soon for myself and my good lady to return there with our son in tow, we do intend on heading there as soon as we possibly can.
Don't bother with a car seat. Waste of time.

A buggy may be of use in Lanta and other similar areas but not Bangkok or any other major town/city. When we were last there, there were plenty of families with buggies although most of the roads on the island have no pavements. They seemed to use them on the beaches more ( Long Beach is about two miles long and has quite compact sand in places, just right for a buggy to be wheeled up and down ).

Personally, I probably wouldn't bother with the buggy but its up to you.

I wouldn't even contemplate a sling for carrying a three year old!!!

#6 bronzedwarrior has been a member since 23/11/2007. Posts: 41
 Send bronzedwarrior a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 11/9/2012 at 08:24

I have a five year old little girl, and she and I (and her mother of course) go to the Pullman in Khon Kaen. It's not cheap, but man, it's really a nice time. We stayed there for two nights. My daughter loved the pool, the German restaraunt was excellent (in the basement) and it has a great feel to it.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by jjinlondon on 3/10/2012 at 06:34

Thanks for your replies. So far I have booked a weeks accom in lanta via couple days in bk and couple days in krabi. If we like it on lanta then I guess we'll have to find somewhere for Xmas. We'll be there dec 5th so am hoping this is early enough to find somewhere?!!!

With regards to other kids stuff, we'll be getting a lightweight tent type travel cot to keep mosi out and taking a trunki booster seat / backpack so she'll be a little safer if in a car, if they have seatbelts!!!!!

Am still having a buggy dilemma as she'll sleep in it at night if we're still out and we'll need for new Zealand which is at the end of the trip. Hmmmmm?????

Now to try and work out how we're going to pack and carry it all?

#8 jjinlondon has been a member since 6/9/2012. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.