Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Cell Phones in Bangkok

Posted by mreiss on 8/9/2012 at 23:41

Can anyone recommend a place to buy cell phones in Bangkok where they speak English? It's not so much the cell phone itself, as getting the SIM card and the right plan.

Thanks.

#1 mreiss has been a member since 24/10/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by DLuek on 9/9/2012 at 08:12 TF writer

Go to MBK 4th floor (near Siam Square, accessed from National Stadium BTS sky train station). Practically the whole floor is devoted to cell phones and most vendors speak enough English to get the job done. They'll sell you a SIM card right there; you don't really buy a "plan" b/c it's all prepaid, just tell them if you want Internet or not but make sure if you do that you get a certain amount of data (1 gig, 2 gig etc.) so you're not paying for it by the minute. If I were you I'd ask for AIS instead of dtac b/c it's generally better signal around the country with fewer problems. Whenever you need to top up your phone just go to any 7-eleven convenience store and tell them how much you want. If you're buying a cheap phone any vendor will do but I wouldn't buy an iPhone from anywhere in Thailand other than a certified Apple store - too many fakes floating around.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 9/9/2012 at 08:49

MBK Shopping Mall next to the National Stadium Skytrain station. Huge selection up on the 4th level and they are accustomed to dealing with foreigners. Getting a SIM takes just a few minutes and costs no more than 150-200 baht. True, DTAC, and AIS are the three providers. Wherever you buy should set it up for you at no extra charge.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by RiniRabbit on 10/9/2012 at 04:32

Hi
Go to MBK at 4th floor.
I would recommend about SIM Card use '' True or DTAC ''
you also can check on their website If you don't know what kind of package will suit you.
Truemove http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/package/61?ln=en
DTAC http://www.dtac.co.th/2009/english/
For a little bit advice ,if you like using internet 3G, Wi-Fi = True
But for best signal = Dtac

#4 RiniRabbit has been a member since 31/7/2012. Posts: 78

Posted by captainbkk on 10/9/2012 at 05:54

no need to really go MBK-but it seems this centre is on the list of any newbie anyway. Its better for buying a new fone. ANY 7-11 store in tourist areas will know and have an ample supply and will be very well used to same Q. 1 note; in the rest of the normal world, these things are called Mobile (say like mo-buy in Thai).

#5 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 12/2/2014 at 18:49

Best not to use internet on your phone cause it gets used up quick. The Thai companies keep sending you stuff which eats up your data usage. Most hotels have wifi these days.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by buttonbridge on 17/2/2014 at 08:19

Ha ha Capt BKK. My mate was over (to UK) from South Africa recently and said:

'I will send you an SMS from my cell'

to which I obviously replied:

'I will reply with a text from my mobile'

sorry off topic but it did make me laugh.

#7 buttonbridge has been a member since 21/11/2010. Posts: 32

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.