Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Koh Lanta transport

Posted by allithekiwifrui on 19/9/2012 at 04:48

Hi everybody,

My partner and I as well as 2 of our friends are flying into Phuket on the 31st December at 10am. We have our heart set on being in Koh Lanta for New Years Eve and I couldn't find any information about ferry transport there from Phuket.

Are we able to ferry from Phuket to Koh Lanta? How long does this take and how do we go about organising it? We don't mind if we have to stop to drop off people on Phi Phi on the way.

Also, what are the best beaches to stay at on Lanta? We're after a very chilled/relaxed vibe, close to a few laid back bars and restaurants and a gorgeous beach.

Thanks for your help!
Alli

#1 allithekiwifrui has been a member since 19/9/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by RiniRabbit on 19/9/2012 at 05:35

Hi
Yes you can take ferry from Phuket to Koh Lanta, it's boat ferry phuket - Ko Lanta via Ko Phi Phi (arrive to Lanta by boat via Ko Phi Phi)
I would recommend Klong Dao Beach (not far from the pier) nice bars,food restaurants.
But I like Ba Kan Tieng beach [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]
it's quiet and have beautiful view and also Klong Nin are nice too.

#2 RiniRabbit has been a member since 31/7/2012. Posts: 78

Posted by tyler on 19/9/2012 at 07:48

check out www.tigerlineferries.com for the slow boat to Phuket. There are also speed boats which are much faster but the company name escapes me at the moment. Both of these options can take you up and down the Andaman coast as far south as Langkawi, Malaysia.

#3 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 19/9/2012 at 23:31

You'll make it to Lanta same day if you don't mess around. Phuket airport is about 35km from the ferry terminal in Phuket town (Rasada pier). There is a bus service from the airport that takes about 1h20m for 90 baht http://www.airportbusphuket.com or just pay for a private taxi (800b) if you want to get there quicker. Be there before 1:30 for the last ferry which connects to Lanta via Phi Phi. On Lanta the busiest beach is Khlong Dao so probably avoid that. I've spent New Years on Ao Phra Ae (Long Beach) and it was great - lively but not overly crowded or noisy. If you want really chilled-out but with just a few beach bars go to Khlong Nin or Khlong Jak further down the island, but that will take a while with a tuk tuk or moto taxi. Accommodation will be tight, but there are always touts on the ferry promoting their bungalows and offering free transport, and in this case it might be worth listening.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.