Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bored with Thailand

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 18/10/2012 at 10:01

It's become same same. The only thing that draws me back is cheap prices.

#1 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by chinarocks on 18/10/2012 at 10:42

Ok. Thank you.

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by sayadian on 18/10/2012 at 10:59

Reasons? I feel the same way sometimes but that's because over the years I think I've been everywhere and it's become to Westernised or Western oriented-take your pick.There are other reasons but I can't explain it on here.Also damn expensive to go to the beach now.Go to Vietnam much better beaches and your money goes further.

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by caseyprich on 18/10/2012 at 18:08

I'm bored with China - I think it gets that way if you live somewhere, life stops being an adventure and "starts getting real". Sorry, lame joke. Still, at least I have a job, more than I can say for 8% of the people in Michigan and 25% of those in Spain. Shanghai really isn't cheap at all so I usually take my vacations in SE Asia, end up spending about the same amount of money on vacation as I would just staying in Shanghai - but that includes accommodation and travel expenses (sometimes even the airline tickets if I go somewhere as cheap as say Laos).

I agree with the above that money goes further in Vietnam than it does in Thailand, especially if you 're after beer. Same goes for Indonesia over Thailand - save that the beer isn't that cheap - but the beaches seem a bit more relaxed. Plenty of great places to check out near Thailand that offer there only flavors of culture and space.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by RiniRabbit on 18/10/2012 at 22:14

Then I guess you know just a few places in Thailand and don't know where to go then. Here have many nice places to visit but yeah just not much real traveller knows.

#5 RiniRabbit has been a member since 31/7/2012. Posts: 78

Posted by waytogo on 19/10/2012 at 01:08

Maybe stop expecting a geographical location to bring you happiness.

#6 waytogo has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 25

Posted by sayadian on 19/10/2012 at 04:21

Caseyprich

'Shanghai really isn't cheap at all'

Sorry to pick up on just that point but I planned on going to Siberia via China. Flight with AirAsia to Beijing-Train toHarbin then bus to Vladivostok. I thought it would be the cheap option as flights from Phnom Penh or Bangkok are expensive to Vladivostok.
Is all of China expensive or just big cities like Shanghai?

#7 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 19/10/2012 at 04:37

Well I've lived here five and a half years and I'm not bored with it yet. I like it here. I don't like beaches though... so that element is not important to me. But if you want a fantastic beach at cheap prices - Tiwi beach, just south of Mombassa. Super cheap, fantastic beach with big breakers, warm water, white sand and no people. Maybe 50 on a three kilomter stretch. Beach side Bungalow on cliff overlooking the ocean - ten bucks. Of course, there are some security issues. But hey, you can't have everything.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by caseyprich on 19/10/2012 at 08:03

Don't get me wrong - you can still get 12 RMB noodles (2$) but when you're living an expat lifestyle that starts to slide away and you find yourself spending on average 50 RMB per meal. Shanghai is probably the most expensive city on the mainland though - with Beijing in at second. If you want to drink cheap local beer for you can, just not at any bar, slip into a restaurant and drink with dinner. That or grab a few bottles to take to the street food with you - if you are in the part of town where they haven't cleared all the street food out. I think once you make your way north of Beijing you'd find things get dramatically cheaper.

#9 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by DLuek on 19/10/2012 at 08:18 TF writer

Funny, after living in Thailand for a year I was just thinking to myself while walking down a typical Bangkok street, "Is it possible to get bored of this place?"

Exhausted from it, yes, but bored, not yet - that's just me.

#10 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by sayadian on 19/10/2012 at 08:27

Madmac:
Sounds great but.
'Of course, there are some security issues.'
Is that your dry sense of humour?
Pattani and Naratiwat have got great beaches too; not to mention Songklha but there are security issues too.
I never did get the desire to be beheaded in an orange boiler suit.Not my style.

Caseyprich:
Thanks for the info.

Dluek:
I don't think you can get bored with Bangkok you just die of toxic poisoning before that's possible.

#11 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 19/10/2012 at 12:53

"Go to Vietnam much better beaches and your money goes further."

I doubt that. It's just sand and water and Thailand has some great beaches like Phra Nang and Koh Hong. I've done the whole beaches thing many times and live near beaches so visiting Vietnam beaches isn't going to do it for me.

I need something different.

Is Umphang really good?

#12 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by sayadian on 19/10/2012 at 13:01

You must have some idea? Or people can't advise you.

#13 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.