Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

lost hidden beach in island

Posted by fotome on 20/10/2012 at 12:47

Some 12 years ago I was in Thailand travelling in the Krabyarea and made my way south stumbling upon a small crabbing village with one backpackerplace with a few beach huts on stilts. Thelocal business seemed to be processing the crabs in a small hut in thevillage. The owner of the accommodationran boat trips to an island that had a hidden beach. At low tide you had toswim into a cave, locate the tune and swim in total darkness for, say 100 meterto get to the beach, when I made this trip it was with only me and the guide,ye so sad. I am planning to go back this November with my partner.
My question is does anyone know of this island?

#1 fotome has been a member since 20/10/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 20/10/2012 at 21:19 TF writer

Hmm, sounds a lot like Emerald Cove on Ko Muk from the description. That would be a fairly long trip from Krabi, but it is feasible.

No matter where you're heading in that area, expect things to be a lot less "unspoilt" than they were 12 years ago. There's been A LOT of development since then. But there are islands down there that are still very low key.

Good luck

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,177
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by sayadian on 21/10/2012 at 08:18

Did you meet Leornardo DiCaprio?

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by fotome on 22/10/2012 at 05:57

Hi and thanks for getting back to me, I think you might beright, the name and description sound familiar. My experience looking back hadaspecks of being scared and elated at the same time. I left the crabbing villagewith the owners 2 sons and a lady who was being dropped off at another island,we all arrived at Ko Muk after a 30 min boat ride, stopped just out side thecave, one of the young guys, whose English wasn’t too good, dived in I followedhim into the cave and he disappeared through a hole, I followed him hopping thatI was in the same tunnel, I hade never been in such darkness, could hear thesound of splashing water so new I had taken the correct tunnel. The cave is not a strait hole it has maybe 2bends so you cannot see the end, I will stress again we were in total darkness,I was say 4 meters behind him as he periodically said OK, then he said see thelight, I couldn’t see any light and for a moment panicked not realising that hewould see the light at the end of the tunnel before me. Walking on this isolatedbeach left me mesmerised. The returnswim was ok as I new what to expect. Fromthere we dropped the lady off at a nearby island were we moored say 50 meters offthe shore.I snorkelled and was amazed at the fish I saw it was like swimming inparadise. Looking forward to going back in Jan 2013. Ill let you know how I geton.
PS I didn’t meet any stars on this trip

#4 fotome has been a member since 20/10/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by tezza on 25/10/2012 at 00:10

The first time I went into the Emerald cave was similar except my 2 Canadian boat companions and I didn't have the boat guy - I don't think he could swim, and he certainly didn't have a light. So we swam into the cave until it became pitch black, trod water for a few minutes while I cracked Aussie shark/crocodile jokes until we saw the torch light of a guided group coming out, swam to meet the group, trod water once they passed, did the same with other groups until we reached the cave.
Which was worth it. I have been in there when a big group of Thais floated an old lady about 90 in on an inflatable mattress. Everyone cheered.

#5 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,344

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.