Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travel route North Thailand 3 weeks

Posted by exon04 on 31/10/2012 at 20:57

Hey there,

I've just started my gap year, and I'm arriving in Bangkok on the 9th November, staying there for 4-5 days at which point I want to travel north Thailand for around 3 weeks, before doing Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia then back to Thailand to hit the south for a couple of weeks.

My question is what would be the best route to do north Thailand? Given I'm a first time traveller is 3 weeks quite a long time to cover Chang Rai/Mai (people seem to do this round in a couple of weeks?) Is there anything between Bangkok and Chang Mai worth seeing? I've been doing a lot of research but would appreciate just a bit more opinion to make me feel more confident about my route plans!

Thanks,

phil

#1 exon04 has been a member since 31/10/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 31/10/2012 at 23:36

The Mae Hong Son loop out of Chiang Mai is definitely worth a look, with stops at some of the towns along the way. Chiang Dao is a worthwhile side trip out of Chiang Mai for an overnight or two.

Sukhothai is an excellent midway stopover on the way to Chiang Mai from BKK, particularly if you like history and ruins and cultural stuff. It is worth a few nights with a side trip to Si Satchanalai.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by RiniRabbit on 1/11/2012 at 04:38

Here places in Chiang Mai
Doi Suthep, The Chiang Mai Zoo, Night Safari, Night plaza , You can visit temples around Chiang Mai town,Dinner at The Riverside.
Go to Doi Inthanon there have many place to visit and lots of activities to do , Visit Mon Jam Hill not far from town... Take bus to Mae Hong Son > Pai :)

#3 RiniRabbit has been a member since 31/7/2012. Posts: 78

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.