Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Koh Phagnan East Coast around FMP

Posted by JohnnyM on 9/11/2012 at 12:44

I'm looking to spend some time on the east coast of Ko Phagnan - Had Tien or Hat Sadet - but was wondering how full they get these days with FMP overspill around the days either side of the party (I'll be looking to go around late Nov and there is a FMP on 28 Nov). I know the weather is a bit iffy - but I'm meeting a friend there.

BTW. I quite enjoyed the first FMP I went to in 1994 - but its not really for me anymore - so I'll be keeping well away!

#1 JohnnyM has been a member since 2/9/2012. Posts: 23

Posted by tezza on 9/11/2012 at 20:04

I stayed a few days around Had Tien ending on the day of the party in April - there didn't seem to be an oversupply of people on any of the 3 interconnected beaches - Yaun, Tien and Why Nam. Heaps of vacancies. Mind you, that was shoulder season - but those places combined have so much accommodation I don't think it would be a problem finding somewhere at busier times. And I don't think the hit and run party types know too much about the existence of these lovely beaches.

Immediately before hitting that area I stayed at Than Sadet - the place seemed to be running at about 10% capacity. Plaas is a magic budget place, but maybe not for the unfit.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,344

Posted by JohnnyM on 10/11/2012 at 02:11

Thanks for the info Tezza. BTW - enjoyed your blog - very informative & good to see a man with a mission!

#3 JohnnyM has been a member since 2/9/2012. Posts: 23

Posted by eugenevdw on 13/11/2012 at 06:41

When we visited Koh Phangan in April we wanted to keep as far from the FMP as possible so we stayed on Than Sadet at the Mai Pen Rai bungalows. Very few people, fantastic swimming, beautiful beach but no snorkeling to speak of. The bungalows are fairly cheap (~B650) but bear in mind that they only have cold water and the electricity is only on from about 11am to 4pm and again from 6pm to about 2am when your fan will stop. They've got wifi at the restaurant (when there's electricity) and a pool table but other than that there's not much to do. But then that's the point isn't it? It's quite a ride to get there but the resort arranges for transport from their booking office near the ferry pier. Keep a lookout for the friendly local pig that frequents the beach.

#4 eugenevdw has been a member since 11/4/2012. Posts: 2
 Send eugenevdw a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.