Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Visa for Thailand for over 30 days

Posted by Joanna_S on 3/12/2012 at 03:17

I'm traveling to South East Asia from 04/01 to 28/03 next year. I'll be using Bangkok as my travel hub and during the full 2 months I'm going to travel to Laos, Vietnam and Burma from there. The last month I'm planning to spend on Thai islands and the amount of time I'm going to spend there will be 32 days. What should I do with the visa? Can I get an extension before I leave for the islands, in Bangkok?
I can't really apply for the 60 days visa at the embassy as my flight ticket is for 3 months.
Any advice?

#1 Joanna_S has been a member since 1/3/2012. Posts: 28

Posted by altmtl on 3/12/2012 at 03:44

Your question is unclear, when will you be spending 32 days in Thailand? At the beginning or the end of your trip?

I have a visa for 60 days and I will be travelling from 02/01 - 04/04 through Thailand and Cambodia

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by Joanna_S on 3/12/2012 at 06:11

Sorry. I'm going to spend the 32 days at the end of the trip, in March.
I'm going to be in Bangkok for a few days at the beginning, then leave for Burma, come back after two weeks, and go overland to Laos, then to Vietnam and come back to Thailand for those 32 days. Hope that's clearer.

#3 Joanna_S has been a member since 1/3/2012. Posts: 28

Posted by Captain_Bob on 4/12/2012 at 10:01

The easiest way would be to get a tourist visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane while you are in Laos. It costs 1000 baht and takes two days (apply 830am pickup 1pm next day) and gets you a 60-day entry. It's valid for 90 days from issue date so you'll be fine going to Vietnam in between.

Another option is fly back into Thailand (from Hanoi or HCMC Air Asia can be cheap) and get a 30-day visa-exempt entry, then go to any immigration office near the end and get a 7-day extension for 1900 baht. Note: If you come back by land visa-exempt you only get 15 days.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,951

Posted by captainbkk on 5/12/2012 at 02:44

OR-if this is possible in this busy preset routing; change that last flite into TH to 2 days later and enjoy the 30-day exempt-may turn out less costly as any visa,, even with change fees.
Better even was to preplan a little more wisely.
Note that IF you leave from OZ down yundah- or also from many other airports, you WILL be harrassed to show tickets out of TH within 30 days after arrival-to qualify for the visa-exempt rules.
you also forgot to tell where you are from-this may be importt. BUT; if you apply for the 60-day visa now there-this will be used by Thai immigration on 1st entry-most of times. It as such does not matter your flites are longer as 60 days out-they are quite used to that.

#5 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by Joanna_S on 5/12/2012 at 03:00

Thanks for your helpful replies.
I have a UK passport. I heard that they check the flight confirmations etc, but not every time. When I flew the last time, they didn't check it.
Yes, I know I shouldn've checked it before, but I thought it was going to be fine.
I'll check how much it would be to change the flight and stay 2 more days - might be easier.

#6 Joanna_S has been a member since 1/3/2012. Posts: 28

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.