Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Overnight train from Surat Thani to Bangkok

Posted by BrumbyJack on 5/1/2013 at 05:14

Howdy... getting close to leaving now, so pretty excited.

I want to catch Service 84 at 21.04 from Surat Thani to Bangkok.

What is the best way to do this???

Should I try and book tickets online (seems really hard and they want to post the tickets) or should I just turn up and see if I can get a 2nd class sleeper ???

#1 BrumbyJack has been a member since 7/10/2012. Posts: 19

Posted by exacto on 5/1/2013 at 10:58

You should book your tickets as soon as you can. It is unlikely that you'd get a 2nd class sleeper berth by just showing up on the day you want to travel. If booking online isn't working for you, stop at a travel agent as soon as you arrive in Thailand and pay the small service fee to have them book for you. It is completely worth it in my opinion. By the way, I've booked train tickets online before and arranged to pick them up once I arrived in country. No post involved.

As an alternative, have a look at the Air Asia flight from Surat Thani to Bangkok. Depending on the date, you may find it is a competitive price. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,660
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by BrumbyJack on 5/1/2013 at 22:25

Thanks exacto. Looking into flights now...

I have 2 other overnight train journeys so I won't be missing out, might be better to have another day somewhere!!!

#3 BrumbyJack has been a member since 7/10/2012. Posts: 19

Posted by Xircal on 6/1/2013 at 07:23

Why don't you take the daytime train? That way, you get to see the Thai countryside. Train #43 departs Surat Thai at 10:40 and arrives in Bangkok at 19:45. See: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

#4 Xircal has been a member since 24/12/2012. Posts: 95

Posted by BrumbyJack on 6/1/2013 at 15:46

Already asked that question a while back..... most people said don't bother and now it doesn't fit in with my plans.

I just found another online ticket agency where I can print my tickets at my end, so that will work. Looks like I'm back on the overnighter.

#5 BrumbyJack has been a member since 7/10/2012. Posts: 19

Posted by exacto on 6/1/2013 at 17:32

agreed. a few hours of gazing out a train window goes a long way and you'll likely get all you want after you board and again in the morning. plus, the all 2nd class aircon diesel rail car trains often have the windows glazed over (or just covered in dirt), as local folks don't seem to care as much about looking out the window as tourists.

jack, i'd be interested to hear about the online ticket agency where you can print out your tickets. let us know too please how the trip worked out and what you thought of your train ride. regards.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,660
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by BrumbyJack on 6/1/2013 at 23:31

http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/default.aspx this is the ticket agency... seems to work OK. I will let you know how it went when I get back to Oz.... early March.

Who should probably be called BrumbyJack"ette" lol!!!

#7 BrumbyJack has been a member since 7/10/2012. Posts: 19

Posted by thaibeachlovers on 7/1/2013 at 22:57

While the OP has already booked tickets, for anyone else, unless you are travelling on or before/ after a public holiday, it wouldn't normally be a problem booking after arriving in Thailand. Can do so at any rail station, or use a travel agent.

The exception would obviously be if wanting to travel same day as arrival in LOS.

#8 thaibeachlovers has been a member since 25/5/2006. Posts: 38

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.