Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

6 weeks in Thailand. Suggestions?

Posted by GhettoGepetto on 8/1/2013 at 17:31

Hiya fellow travelers, first time posting.

So, I leave for a 6 week backpacking trip to Thailand next Monday (1/14). I have some ideas of places I'd like to go to and things I'd like to see. Being it's my first time there, I would like to hear from you what you would do, traveling all around the country on a six week trip (landing in BKK and quickly getting on the road) and must see places.

I'm on a pretty tight budget (1000bt - 2000bt a day), and my main interests are seeing temples, Muay Thai, maybe some beaches and just soaking up as much culture and refreshing my spirit. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. Cheers and happy travels to you all!

#1 GhettoGepetto has been a member since 8/1/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/1/2013 at 20:35 admin

Hmmm, for a first time visit to Thailand, I'd suggest a gladbag of destinations along the lines of the following and I've suggested some links after each for more reading:

Bangkok (food, temples, muay thai)
Sukhothai OR Ayutthaya (food, historic ruins)
Where to stay in Sukhothi
More on Sukhothia

Chiang Mai (food, temples)
Temples in CM

Pai OR Chiang Dao OR Soppong (all three are trekking centres and quite pretty. Pai is the most touristy of the 3)
Chiang Dao getaway

Thailand has three main sets of islands, the east, the southeast and the southwest -- all three have good weather now. We have a lot of material on islands, and a lot would depend on if your main priority is to dive, party or chill out (I know there's a lot of grey in there, but with a bit more info from you can make some more helpful suggestions).

In the meantime, here's some links to a bunch more reading...
Andaman sea islands
Gulf islands
East coast islands

Cheers!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by gregmccann1 on 9/1/2013 at 06:07

Make sure you visit a couple of the national parks. I recommend: Khao Sok NP (easy to visit if you're going to stay on the Gulf islands), Khao Luang NP/Ban Khiriwong Village/Nakhon Si Thammarat (if you do that one you're getting nicely off the tourist trail, which is a great feeling), Kaeng Krachan NP/Phetchaburi town (2 hours south of Bangkok).

#3 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 183
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.