Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Cycling trip - Bangkok to Singapore Via the East Coast of Malaysia

Posted by Enduro on 10/1/2013 at 21:15

Hi,

I'm looking at doing a cycle trip from Bangkok to Singapore over 4 weeks in March. Although I've had a lot of experiance in cycle touring this is my first time with the Bike in Asia. I was wondering if anyone could advise the best way of getting out of the Bangkok area as I've heard it's very busy on the roads ( like any big city) Is it possible to take my bike on a train and head to the outskirts ? Or does anyone know of a bike friendly way out ?

I've been reading plenty of warnings about the Narathwat and Pattani areas down south. Are they dangerious as they sound and do you think a cycle tourist would have any problems getting through. I really want to stick to the East Coast of Malaysia and if I enter via the west Coast of Thailand that would mean a long detour via the Central Tablelands.

Thanks in advance for any advice given

#1 Enduro has been a member since 10/1/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/1/2013 at 21:38 admin

Hi Enduro,

Yes you can stick your bike on the train (or bus).

I'm going to point you in the direction of some blog entries written by a couple of Travelfish writers who cycled from Bangkok to Singapore about a year ago. It's split across three blogs and a bit out of order for some random reason unfortunately, but you should be able to make sense of it.

The Thailand section is here this one in particular covers the trip out of Bangkok, but is a bit vague on routing.
A brief on the Malaysian bit
Arrival in Sg

They asked me about the far south of Thailand (as I've travelled through there quite a bit, though not recently) and in the end I advised them against cycling through there. I would travel by bus or train through there, but I think cycling brings an extra element of risk -- even though foreigners are not being targeted -- and I wouldn't do it personally. If you wanted to stick to the Malaysian coast, you could get a minibus (stick the bike on the roof) or the train -- from Hat Yai to Sungai Kolok and then it's about 200 metres to the border.

I've also very recently travelled along the east coast of Malaysia (from Kuantan to Kuala Terengganu ) and I'd imagine is great for cycling - certainly flat! I particularly recommend Kuala Terengganu -- I liked it a lot, and if you've more questions about that stretch, let me know.

cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by YourThaiGuide on 12/1/2013 at 04:18

Hello,

I have cycled from KL to Bangkok (and beyond). It's doable and it's fun.

I don't know from Singapore to KL and I would not have cycled into KL expect that's where I was flying from.

I have GPS route, if you're using GPS.. the Thailand section is especially decent. I was not happy with the KL section but it was all ride-able.

I've cycled the 'red zone' in Thailand down along the Thai border and know many other that have also, it's a lovely untouched area mostly unspoilt by development, if you believe the hype is not safe. but i think you've got more chance being run over my bus on your trip and any other issues.

My strava account has all my GPS route from my latest trip with was every province in Thailand and 9,000kms

http://app.strava.com/athletes/198273

#3 YourThaiGuide has been a member since 12/1/2013. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.