Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand Land Visa (multiple entries?)

Posted by Fangtasia on 22/1/2013 at 07:58

Hi all,

I'll be entering Thailand by land via Malaysia and will -as far as my research goes- get a 15 day visa which is fine. But a couple weeks later I'll re-enter Thailand via land (Laos)... can I just get another land visa on arrival? Gotta admit I have no clue how those multiple entry visas work... Any help is greatly appreciated!

#1 Fangtasia has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by robinwhite on 22/1/2013 at 16:17

It is depends upon your visa type. Which type of visa you contained during the entrance. If You have Multiple-Entry Visa then you don't need another land visa on arrival.

#2 robinwhite has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 18

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by ayesha on 22/1/2013 at 20:48 TF writer

So if you enter by a land border - you get 14days - so yes - you when you enter via Malaysia and via Laos - each time you will get 15 days.

If you buy a tourist visa at a Thai consulate or embassy - before you enter Thailand then when you cross the border they will activate this - which will give you 60 days.

If you buy multiples of these (mostly only available in at thai consulates and embassy's that are not located in neighboring countries to Thailand) then your second entry will also give you a further 60 days.

So if you wanted to spend longer than 15 days in Thailand after any of your land border crossing then you will need to visit the Thai embassy in a country before you enter Thailand to buy one - you can do this in Malaysia and also in Laos too.

#3 ayesha has been a member since 12/6/2009. Location: Thailand. Posts: 74
 Send ayesha a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by Captain_Bob on 23/1/2013 at 02:45

If you're referring to the free entry by land 15 days (30 by air) it is a visa exemption, not a visa. You can get a new entry each time this way but each one also expires when you leave, so technically it is single entry. This can be extended once for 7 days more for 1900 baht at any immigration office. As for tourist visas these are available at Thailand consulates abroad and available as single, double, or triple-entry depending on the consulate in question, and usually good for 60 day-entry/s with 30-day possible extension. There is no "multiple-entry" tourist visa.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,951

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/1/2013 at 03:29 admin

@Captain_Bob - the 15/30 day visa waivers can be extended? Didn't realise that was the case. But I guess at 1,900, almost always cheaper to do a border run.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,943
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 23/1/2013 at 04:57

^^Yep, Visa-exempt entry (15/30) can be extended one time 7 days for 1900b, but as you say it's not always the most practical solution. If you're not close to any border and just want a few extra days though it can be the answer.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,951

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.