Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Lost license Important?

Posted by scottyg on 22/1/2013 at 16:24

Hey guys I'm just about to leave to Thailand and got drunk at my going away party and lost my wallet. Inside was my license and 18 + card
and I think it takes 2 weeks to get a replacement but I leave in 3 days. I have my license scanned and copied and my passport. will I need my Qld drivers license when travelling or will the copy be fine thanks

#1 scottyg has been a member since 15/1/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by ayesha on 22/1/2013 at 20:42 TF writer

If you are planning to rent a car then you will need it - otherwise I wouldnt know why you would need it.

#2 ayesha has been a member since 12/6/2009. Location: Thailand. Posts: 74
 Website   Twitter   Facebook    Google+ 

Posted by busylizzy on 23/1/2013 at 02:37

Hope this is a lesson to you as to what can happen once you're over in Thailand partying it up at the Full Moon Parties. Just be glad that it wasn't your passport! :-)

If you're planning on hiring a motorbike, they will probably be more interesting in taking your passport off of you as collateral rather than your licence. The nice policeman who pulls you over for not wearing a helmet or some other infringement (fictional or otherwise) may have other ideas.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 23/1/2013 at 02:50

You won't need a drivers license unless you intend on driving (doh!) but as said above they usually take your passport (or copy of) as security when renting. If you have an accident or get caught at a police checkpoint they will demand a drivers license but you'll probably just get fined (around $10) for not having one, but of course you can forget any insurance cover without a license.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by sirhalberd on 26/1/2013 at 22:43

To legally drive a motor vehicle you need a Thai drivers license or an International Drivers License. You get the International Drivers License back home when you present a valid drivers license.
http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

Young and drunk on a motorcycle is dangerous!! Motorcycle accidents account for the most tourist fatalities in Thailand!

If you don't plan on driving in Thailand having no license is only a problem back home.

#5 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295

Posted by thaibeachlovers on 28/1/2013 at 02:47

To drive in Thailand you are advised to have both driving licence and an IDP.

NEVER leave your pasport as security for anything, let alone a m'bike. Ignore this advice if you wish, but don't say you weren't warned when it all goes wrong.

#6 thaibeachlovers has been a member since 25/5/2006. Posts: 38

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.