Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Getting to Siem Reap

Posted by SaltwaterGem on 26/1/2013 at 04:37

In Ko Chang now, next stop is Siem Reap . It seems like a long journey to Trat, then Chathaburi, then Khorat, then Aranya Prathet, then Poipet, then Siem Reap. The threads I searched are only about travel in the opposite direction.

On the other hand there are travel services here in Lonely Beach... To Siem Reap for 350-450 baht. Is this trustworthy? I'd rather not be dumped somewhere at random or taken for a spin through jewel shops and rrestaurants for 9 hours.

#1 SaltwaterGem has been a member since 4/1/2013. Posts: 22

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/1/2013 at 17:38 admin

We ran a feature a couple of weeks ago on this crossing (it was comparing crossing in 2005 and 2012) the latter crossing was from Ko Chang via a travel agent so it should mimic the experience you'll most likely have. You can read the feature here.

If you want to do it solo, you can read the following, which is a bit dated pricewise and though you'll need to read it backwards ;-)

Hope that helps.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SaltwaterGem on 26/1/2013 at 21:20

Seems like hell either way...

So there is a bus straights from Chathaburi to Aranya Prathet? I was under the impression I would have to go to Khorat then onward from there

#3 SaltwaterGem has been a member since 4/1/2013. Posts: 22

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/1/2013 at 23:23 admin

Yup, you can get a but from Chanthaburi to Aranyaprathet -- no need to go to Khorat. It's not that bad a trip really - road much much better than it used to be.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by denzil71 on 31/1/2013 at 06:29

Was chatting to a tour guy here in Chiang Mai today who told me that it is now possible to get a bus from bangkok to siem reap direct (because of the new visa stuff) for about $50 US - dont know the details or how good value that is, but it would seem to save a lot of hassle for many.

#5 denzil71 has been a member since 20/2/2012. Posts: 9
 Send denzil71 a private message   Twitter 

Posted by MADMAC on 31/1/2013 at 07:02

I'm leaving, on a jet plane...

I'm going next month and flying Bangkok to PP. Just seems easier. Couple days there dancing, couple days there checking out Siem Reap. Friend of mine bought me a ticket, can't say no to that.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by JaiYen88 on 31/1/2013 at 14:52

Your best bet is probably Trat - Chanthaburi - Aran - Poipet - Siem Reap . Buses shouldn't cost too much on the Thai side (between 200 and 400B) and I would assume you can get straight to Chanthaburi from Chang, then straight to Aran from there.

Once you're at the border market, don't bother with any of the "visa offices" that people will try to bring you to, just head straight for Thai passport control. Once you are stamped out of Thailand the Cambodian visa office is on the right hand side after you emerge from the passport control building.

A good option to get to Siem Reap from there is to share a taxi which will be a Toyota Camry, and if you can find three other people you can hire the car for between $30 and $50 depending on how far you are willing to bargain down to. $50 split between 4 really isn't bad considering you get your own private car all the way to the guesthouse of your choice rather than going through the whole 'free shuttle-bus - bus terminal (wait there for an indeterminate period) - local restaurant stop-off - then dropped in tuktuk land on the outskirts of Siem Reap' fiasco...

Have fun!

#7 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110
 Send JaiYen88 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.