Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Itinerary help, 3 weeks in late Feb/early March

Posted by fushica on 26/1/2013 at 12:20

Hi there!
I was hoping to get some advice on my itinerary - am aiming for 3 weeks roughly, in Thailand and visiting Siem Reap . I don't mind keeping busy by moving around as I'm going on my own, but this might be stretching it and would definitely appreciate some feedback!
Certainly, losing Chiang Mai would save me a flight and keep everything I'm doing to Bangkok and below, which might be easier, - or losing Cambodia is the other obvious option - but if I can fit it all in reasonably would prefer to try that! Any feedback gratefully received, thank you :)

Day 1 : arrive in Bangkok from London, sleep!
Day 2 : full day in Bangkok
Day 3 : full day in Bangkok
Day 4 : train to Siem Reap or bus
Day 5 : full day in Angkor Wat
Day 6 - full day in Angkor Wat
Day 7 : half day and return by bus/train to Ayutthaya
Day 8 : day in Ayutthaya, sleeper train to Chiang Mai
Day 9 : full day in CM
Day 10 : full day in CM
Day 11 : full day in CM
Day 12 : day in CM, late flight to Phuket
Day 13 : day around islands… Phang Nga Bay etc
Day 14 : islands
Day 15 : islands
Day 16 : islands
Day 17 : up to Khao Sok National Park in morning
Day 18 : full day in Khao Sok
Day 19 : day in Khao Sok
Day 20 : bus to Bangkok in the morning
Day 21 : fly back to London

#1 fushica has been a member since 26/1/2013. Posts: 7

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/1/2013 at 18:55 admin

A couple of thoughts:
You'll need to allow a full day of travel to get from Angkor back to Bangkok. Neither the train nor bus goes via Ayutthaya so you'll need to go to Bangkok first. I'd suggest overnighting in Bangkok then getting a morning train to Ayutthaya. It is worth overnighting there, but then that would leave you needing to get a day train to CM which costs you a day, so I guess morning arrival in Ayutthaya, day trip around the temples and back for the night train to Chiang Mai.

Another thought is that you could go from Khao Sok to either Surat Thai or Phuket and fly back to Bangkok - would save you some tome there too.

Otherwise it is all doable, perhaps a little cramped -- ask the boss for two more days of leave ;-)

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by fushica on 27/1/2013 at 07:00

Thank you! Have just managed to book multi-way flights, so am going out of Phuket... gets me an extra day! :)

#3 fushica has been a member since 26/1/2013. Posts: 7

Posted by thaibeachlovers on 28/1/2013 at 02:57

Seeing as you are determined to go to "the beach", perhaps a day less in C M or Bkk. I wouldn't plan on more than 1 or 2 beaches other than Phukit either.

#4 thaibeachlovers has been a member since 25/5/2006. Posts: 38

Posted by Kananga on 4/2/2013 at 00:48

Let me know what islands you are considering, I'll be more than helpful to provide you with any information. The beaches in Thailand are great and in my opinion a spell on one or two should not be missed.

#5 Kananga has been a member since 25/4/2005. Location: Thailand. Posts: 34
 Send Kananga a private message 

Posted by sashajmiller on 4/2/2013 at 03:36

I'd consider skipping Ayuttaya and flying/getting a bus from Siem Reap to Chiang Mai. I haven't been to Ayuttaya but I'm not sure the ruins will be so impressive after being to Angkor Wat (which is amazing).

#6 sashajmiller has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by fushica on 4/2/2013 at 04:53

Thanks all - v helpful feedback.

Sashajmiller, I wondered if I might get temple fatigue too, so think will play that day by ear - stay and chill out in Bangkok, or amble up to Ayutthaya if I've still got a taste for it!

Kanaga - many thanks :) As I'm coming down from Khao Sok NP, I was thinking of a couple of days around Phang Nga Bay... then possibly checking out Krabi and Koh Phi Phi - and then the boat to Phuket, where I fly out from. Does that sound like a sensible route to you, or am I missing anything special?

#7 fushica has been a member since 26/1/2013. Posts: 7

Posted by gaewgiez on 7/2/2013 at 02:24

Bangkok hotel recommend
www.301thaicondohotel.com

#8 gaewgiez has been a member since 7/2/2013. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.