Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Krabi, railay, tonsai, koh lanta, koh rok, koh kradan

Posted by Arigato9 on 27/1/2013 at 23:52

My fiancé and I are finishing up our semester here in Petchaburi and wanted to know the best route of the above. I was thinking overnight train to Krabi and then to spend a week or so on railay and tonsai then head to koh lanta and do an overnight trip to koh rok! Any other islands in between or suggestions on some gems on where to adventure towards. Also should I do all this by boat from Krabi or is there a better/ cheaper way?

Thanks for your help!

#1 Arigato9 has been a member since 26/5/2011. Posts: 29

Posted by thaibeachlovers on 28/1/2013 at 02:36

Why stay both Railay and Tonsai? They are a 10 minute walk apart. Railay is IMO a better place to stay if you can afford it.

#2 thaibeachlovers has been a member since 25/5/2006. Posts: 38

Posted by tezza on 28/1/2013 at 18:32

Um, no railway line goes near Krabi . If you are keen on a train trip your best bet may be to get off at the Surathani station which is some way west of Surathani itself and catch a bus/minibus to Krabi - maybe an extra 2 hours or so. I think one of the small travel agents near the station may be able to ring up to ensure one of the travellers' minibuses calls by. I'm not sure if the Surathani-Krabi big buses call by the station.
A longer alternative may be to do your trip in reverse - catch one of the two sleeper trains right down to Trang, walk across the road to KK Travel and hop on the next minivan (leave frequently) which goes right onto Lanta via the vehicle punts and delivers to a fair number of resorts.
Me - I'd simply catch an overnight bus from Bangkok to Krabi to save a fair amount of time. Can't say sleep quality is good on buses though.

A nice laid back island to visit between Lanta and Krabi is Ko Jum.
I'm also a fan of the Trang islands a short distance south of Lanta - Ngai, Kradan and Muk.

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.