Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai to Hanoi?

Posted by bigfatbackpack on 30/1/2013 at 09:38

Hello! I'm new here and I was hoping you guys could help out. My boyfriend and I are planning a 3 month trip in SEA, starting in northern Thailand. We plan on being in Chiang Mai for Songkran, then we were going to go from there to Laos. However, after reevaluating our itinerary, we realized we were probably trying to cram in too much, and had to make the difficult decision to skip Laos. Because of that, we are trying to figure out what would be the best, cheapest and quickest way to get from Chiang Mai to Hanoi. Obviously flying would be the best, but all the flights I looked at flew back to Bangkok, and were waaaay out of our budget (which is $100 each max).
If anyone has any suggestions on the best way to get to Hanoi, it would be greatly appreciated!

#1 bigfatbackpack has been a member since 30/1/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by KarinaGomes on 30/1/2013 at 18:59

Hello! Did you see in Vietnan Airlines?

#2 KarinaGomes has been a member since 30/1/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/1/2013 at 19:11 admin

To my knowledge there are no direct Chiang Mai to Hanoi flights.

AirAsia currently have Bangkok to Hanoi one way for as little at 1,800 baht one way all inclusive in late April. It's not going to get much cheaper than that.

Get a train/bus/cheap flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok then AirAsia to Hanoi would be my advice.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by bigfatbackpack on 31/1/2013 at 16:26

Thanks! That's probably what we will end up doing.

#4 bigfatbackpack has been a member since 30/1/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by rrose on 1/2/2013 at 00:28

Maybe you won't need to skip Laos completely... I am told that one can fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang and then connect to Hanoi. Probably Laos Airlines to LP and then another to Hanoi. Check into it and it might work for you. Chok dee/good luck!

#5 rrose has been a member since 5/3/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.