Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

North Thailand - out of the beaten tracks

Posted by cybervlad on 6/6/2007 at 16:00

Hi all,
I plan to visit Thailand again :) in the November 07.
This time I want to pay attention to North. There is enough information about Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Golden Triangle and so on. Also I want visit "highland" people (hill tribes), but I don't want to visit "human zoo" villages, where people posing for photo all day long. I want to see real live.
Does anyone suggest right direction? :)

p.s. I plan to rent a car, so long distances are not problem for me.

#1 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/6/2007 at 08:59 admin

Hi Vlad,

For trekking, would suggest trekking out of Pai or Mae Hong Son. For something more off the beaten track, try Mae Salong -- lots of Akha villages around there (and great driving/riding too).

Another option is Nan -- spectacular scenery and far fewer tourists than say Pai or Mae Hong Son.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by gourlay on 9/6/2007 at 08:25

I think one should do a strange thing and just rent a small scooter and head to the hills., It will give you a better chance to see the real hill people as they are not as the trekking companies want you to. It is not so romantic as saying I did a grauling 3 day trek in the Thai mountains and meet these really great Germans. But prehaps the experience may be just as wonderful, and a little more unique in this day and age of instand referrals and eletronic guide books that send you "where every man has been before". Try the path less worn and as for NaAn is concerned wonderful place and great ride. Carry sun block!

#3 gourlay has been a member since 9/6/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by as400 on 9/6/2007 at 16:15

"It is not so romantic as saying I did a grauling 3 day trek in the Thai mountains and meet these really great Germans"

Personally I'd have hoped for rather more!

#4 as400 has been a member since 24/5/2007. Posts: 3
 Website 

Posted by cybervlad on 9/6/2007 at 19:30

Somtam, thanks you for info!
I am going to read about Mae Salong and Nan :)

Gourlay, usually I rent scooter, but this time we plan to travel with my friends, so car (4wd) is more suitable.

#5 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.