Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

getting from chumphon to Singapore via rail.

Posted by lillozza on 14/2/2013 at 16:20

Hi guys, I'm having a little trouble working out how to get from koh tao to Singapore. I thought my best bet would be traveling back to chumphon then to Singapore but can't seem to find any advice on how to go south! Am I best flying (although not ideal) to Singapore? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :) xx

#1 lillozza has been a member since 14/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 2
 Send lillozza a private message   Twitter 

Posted by Krisprolls on 15/2/2013 at 02:10

Hello,
Getting from Chumphon to Singapore is possible by taking the train to Butterworth (Penang) and then to KL.
Very useful information on http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Singapore
Regards,
Krisprolls

#2 Krisprolls has been a member since 8/2/2013. Posts: 2
 Send Krisprolls a private message 

Posted by ericgsmith on 16/2/2013 at 01:22

Hi there. I'm in Chumphon at the moment doing that in the reverse direction, so yes as mentioned above it is very easy to do.

Although flying "isn't ideal" unless you are making a few stop offs in between it may be easier. They are some pretty long train rides!

#3 ericgsmith has been a member since 1/9/2012. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 23
 Send ericgsmith a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by captainbkk on 16/2/2013 at 04:14

the normal guidebooks all have the info-also seat61, but that is strictly pro-train and avoids any possible negative about them.
The QUICK way by land is a direct bus from HYai/south of TH-dep around 15/16.00) toward either JB (may be cheaper) or on to SIN. These buses use jalan tol in MY (I now sit in a Penang hostel) and bypass KUL. Thats around 5-6 hrs quiker as by train-change in KUL needed, direct nite-tren to KL from HYai by 16.00/MY=15.00/TH. Trains in MY are a lot better as in TH, but scarce-easy to book online-see seat61.

#4 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by lillozza on 20/2/2013 at 17:03

Thanks for your help :) x

#5 lillozza has been a member since 14/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 2
 Send lillozza a private message   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.