Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Spring haze: When and where?

Posted by karibou on 17/2/2013 at 12:32

I'm visiting Thailand from mid-Feb to mid-March of 2014. Will probably spend at least 2 weeks north of Bangkok before heading south, and would like to devise a rough itinerary for that period. Initially I ruled out the north and northeast and decided to focus on the central regions, because I read that the smoky haze can start to get serious in the north around late Feb/early March.

In your experience, is this generally the case? Are some parts of the north/northeast less affected? Does the haze extend into central Thailand as well? For instance ... Sukhothai? Kanchanaburi/Sanklaburi? Khao Yai NP? Thanks!

#1 karibou has been a member since 14/2/2013. Posts: 63
 Send karibou a private message 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 17/2/2013 at 19:17

Sukhothai should be ok as it's a good 4 hours from Chiang Mai . Kanchanaburi is west of Bangkok which is a long way from the north.

March is a very hot month. I've been to Chiang Mai in March and while it was hazy it wasn't that bad, it's the heat which is more of a concern but I found Koh Samui to be hotter.

I think you should plan your trip around your interests rather than worry about haze.

The Kanchanaburi-Sangkhlaburi area is nice. In between you have Sai Yok which is a good place to stay on the river.

Khao Yai NP is best done in Dec/Jan when the Elephants are more likely to be active in winter time. The waterfalls will be dry around March also.

Feb/March is a good time to do the Andaman coast because the tigerline ferries operate and you can island hop.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 18/2/2013 at 01:26

There's no way to predict the haze situation a year in advance and based on specific locations. Anywhere around and north of Bangkok can have air quality issues especially late Feb through March depending on how much / where agricultural burnoff is happening and if/when/where there has been any decent wind/rain to clear it out. Here in Chiang Mai, for example, we had a nice rain last night and today is pleasant. Meanwhile a couple days ago it was kinda hazy and quite hot. Tomorrow is another day. Check PM-10 levels on a few days before you go.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,911

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.