Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Help needed. Broken Collar bone in Chiang Mai

Posted by 2Peas on 23/2/2013 at 03:54

Hi,

well 12 days in to my 3 month trip with my girlfriend, i slipped on a wet floor in chiang rai and have well and truly broken my collar bone. I went to the hospital in chiang rai but it was pretty awful. I was offered surgery to pin it back together but in end was only given a very crap sling and some painkillers. We got a 3 hour bus back to chiang mai where my insurance told me to go to the university hospital here. I went this morning and the service was much better but again i was told surgery was not normally needed and i was given a brace to put on but it seems my bone is still sticking up towards my skin. I am in a lot of discomfort. I am due to fly home on 13th May but im realising i can not do anything i wanted to do on this trip down to the simplest things of basic tasks. My insurance have been pretty terrible and im still waiting on the doctors opinion from them. I am looking at having to go home. Is the chiang mai ram hospital superior and much more expensive or am i likely to receive similar treatment?

#1 2Peas has been a member since 10/11/2012. Posts: 11
 Send 2Peas a private message 

Posted by exacto on 23/2/2013 at 08:51

sorry to hear about your collar bone. chiang mai ram is a first-class hospital. i have friends who lived in chiang mai for years and had several fairly involved medical procedures there with good experiences and good results.

the only other option i can think of would be to travel down to bangkok for one of the major hospitals there like bamrungrat or smitivej. but that's extra travel and the level of care should be about the same as chiang mai ram.

give one of them a look and get yourself fixed up so you aren't in pain and can enjoy yourself for the rest of your trip. i hope you are better soon. best wishes.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,686
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 23/2/2013 at 10:09

Try the Sriphat Medical Center which is in the same area as Suan Dok hospital on the Suthep road (due-west out of the old city). Ram is still good but seems to have developed an attitude with all the expat business, and they are expensive especially at the pharmacy window. Sriphat is my new favourite in Chiang Mai.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by 2Peas on 7/3/2013 at 08:40

Ended up having to come home :( My experience of the sriphat hospital wasn't all that positive on my 2 visits. I was fitted with a brace which iv since found out isnt used here in the UK cos it cuts circulation. Which figures cos i went back because i couldnt feel my arms! haha they said 'ooops it too tight' and told me they didn't have any slings....aha

Now trying to heal up to go back out when i can actually dress myself...

#4 2Peas has been a member since 10/11/2012. Posts: 11
 Send 2Peas a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.