Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Sattahip?

Posted by Starving_Sound on 25/3/2013 at 20:17

So - I finally have my Visa and my tickets and I am bound for Thailand. But I have a conundrum. I have family in Sattahip who asked me why don't I stay with them. That way I won't have to worry about paying rent anywhere. While that's all great and good I also have to give up not only my privacy but also some of my independence. And strange considering - though family - I don't really know my aunts and uncles. Plus - I really want to see what it's like living in a big city like Bangkok - which is where I've been wanting to live.

They said if anything I could always go to Bangkok - which is 3 hours away - for weeks at a time if I wanted. And there I could also stay with my cousins there. Or get a hotel. They also said Pattya is only 30 minutes away so I can always go there for something to do. I'm not really into that scene there though I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't hit it up a few times anyway. But not necessarily for the bar scene.

My real question is if anybody can tell me how Sattahip is. Maybe in relation to a city in the US much like I might say Bangkok is like Chicago or New York. Are there a lot of things to do? And what not. I didn't see anything in the forums and probably would have asked anyway just for some current answers if the topics were from years ago.

Thanks.

#1 Starving_Sound has been a member since 5/3/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 32
 Send Starving_Sound a private message 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 25/3/2013 at 20:18

Never heard of it before but I found it on google maps and that part of the coast would be quiet and mostly Thai area. I would tell them you want to see many parts of Thailand but you'll visit them for 1 week. They'll be able to show you around that area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22umYDmLe8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIWfa2xMnwA

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by captainbkk on 27/3/2013 at 07:58

have passed there once and this is some time ago.
Its THE Thai MARINE=NAVY town. Long time they exposed a 2nd hand bought submarine-to protect the Thai seas from all those intruding fishers or so, or maybe just a plaything for some general. But they lacked the money to buy fuel for it.It is right that its 2,5-3 hr to BKk or 1/2 to PTY. OR 1 hr to Rayong=east.
Its not really a 13 in the dozen Thai town-that tipically means a giant market, a very busy area aorund and then thrown here and there the hospital, the highschool and some govt. buildings, with intermittent housing. It is very spread out and lacks a definite centre-maybe thats hidden for the navyguys. There may be areas closed off for non-navy people. utter boring for me. No real sights-bnot even minor ones and also hardly a decent beach-closeby,. A bit further is a giant and polluting industrial area, named Mab Ta Phut (or so).
I do not know that US of A enough to give a same-same example, plus that i think TH and US compare utter badly- just see the complete ignorance most USAers tend to show about how things work normally.
Advice of LC is OK as to your relatives: just go-tell them enthusiasticlly you wont to see much more of that beautiful country-and see how it is and what they can offer-and how long you can stand that. BTW- when i innocently told about it to a |Thai guy-many moons ago, he told me STP has a very bad name to Thai-due to that navy and the 2nd wiving that comes with that-seamen etc. But Thai only parrot one another-without every checking facts.

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by Starving_Sound on 27/3/2013 at 09:15

Thanks, guys. Yeah, that makes sense. A bunch of my uncles and aunts were/are in the Navy or Army. Makes sense a few would live there. Still don't know how to tell them. I don't want them to lost face - I know that's a big thing in Thailand.

#4 Starving_Sound has been a member since 5/3/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 32

Posted by DLuek on 30/3/2013 at 08:39 TF writer

Love this response by captainbkk -- "the 2nd wiving that comes with that-seamen etc." -- freaking hilarious.

I agree with Leonard; go visit for a week, but tell them right off that you're going traveling around for a while after that. They know Thailand is a big, beautiful country. Seems that most Thai people are enthusiastic about traveling too. When you're in the area again, stop by and say hi, and don't forget to bring them a gift or two from your travels. Just start a real relationship with them. They won't lose face and neither will you.

#5 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by boaby on 5/5/2013 at 10:14

dont despair all is not lost pattaya is only 35 mins away and bang chan is also close by if you'r into diving there is a good wreck at samy sang called the hardeep in about 30m of water

regular buses to pattaya or rent a bike and disapear for the day and have a few well earned beers with familly

boaby

#6 boaby has been a member since 26/1/2011. Posts: 40
 Send boaby a private message 

Posted by chrispertermark on 27/12/2013 at 22:35

According to m view, Getting somewhere in Sattahip should take at most 30 minutes more than the 1.5-2 hours to Pattaya. The companies offering inexpensive pre-booked taxi rides to Pattaya should be your best option.

What to see and do in Chicago

#7 chrispertermark has been a member since 27/12/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Starving_Sound on 28/12/2013 at 22:09

Thanks, Chris. I've decided to live in Bangkok and have been here since June. It's great.

#8 Starving_Sound has been a member since 5/3/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 32

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.