Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Planning a trip to Thailand. Need advice!!

Posted by ali32 on 2/4/2013 at 16:49

I'm planning to head to Thailand in a couple of weeks and am trying to piece together a rough plan of where to go and what to see. Here is what I came up with so far...

Bangkok > Koh Pha Ngan > Koh Tao >Koh Samui > Khao Sok > Koh Phi Phi > Phuket > Chiang Mai

From Chiang Mai I plan to fly to Laos.

Is there anywhere that is really worth seeing that I've missed off or anywhere I've planned that might be worth avoiding?

Also do I get a 30 day visa for Laos if I arrive by air in to Vientiane.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

#1 ali32 has been a member since 2/4/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 2/4/2013 at 18:51

Lots of places in Thailand are worth seeing. You can visit every year for 15 years and not see it all. I see your list is full of same same touristy places but maybe you like being surrounded by tourists.

Lots of descriptions of other destinations on this site.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by exacto on 2/4/2013 at 19:25

Hi Ali!

I can tell from the places you've mentioned that you are excited about islands and beaches. Let us know what other types of things interest you, and we can make more specific suggestions. For example, I like beaches too, but I'm also interested in history and nature, which is why I often recommend Kanchanaburi as a worthwhile destination in Thailand - particularly for people interested in World War II and the Death Railway history. I'm also interested in culture and ruins, which is why I enjoy the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Ayutthaya and Sukhothai so much.

Another important factor, however, is how much time you have to spend in Thailand. You already plan to visit eight different places, which is quite a bit of moving around unless you've got a month or more to do it. How long to you have? You might choose to visit fewer places and get a better feel for each of them rather than feel rushed.

It is a long way from Phuket to Chiang Mai , so flying may be your best bet. If you haven't yet, book your air tickets as soon as you can to make sure you can get flights on the days and times you want. Also, you mentioned you arrive in Thailand in a few weeks. What is the exact date? I ask because the week of April 15th starts the Thai/Lunar New Year holiday,and transport may be booked solid already for that period.

Finally, are you flying from Chiang Mai to Vientiane or to Luang Prabang ? You can obtain a visa on arrival at either place, which is good for up to 30 days. You'll want to have a passport photo and something like $35 cash for the fee. In any case, depending on your other plans, don't miss Luang Prabang if at all possible. From there you can continue by air to Vientiane or take the all-day, always exciting bus trip with a stopover in beautiful Vang Vieng or a side trip to another historical favorite of mine, Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars.

I hope this information helps, or at least gets the discussion started. Have a great time. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 3/4/2013 at 00:07

I think Exacto pretty much summed it up well.

Leonard is right - you are hitting the spots the tourists love. They love those spots for a reason, but it's defintiely THE beaten path.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.