Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Phuket to Koh Lanta Ferry?

Posted by samrolli on 8/4/2013 at 05:30

Hi,

I live in Chiang Mai with my wife, we have some family visiting in May and will be staying on Koh Lanta for 5 nights. We are flying into Phuket and spending our first night there and then I was hoping to take a ferry to Koh Lanta from Phuket.

I've looked a little bit at Ferries that you can book online and they seem really expensive (1100baht+) for the full trip, I understand that they stop at Koh Phi Phi on the way which I don't have a problem with. But I am trying to find something thats cheaper or at least a little bit better priced. Wondering if it is better to buy the tickets at the pier? or on the beach somewhere? Or if anyone knows of some cheaper options that would be great!

Thank you!

#1 samrolli has been a member since 8/4/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 8/4/2013 at 07:34

Tickets are normally cheaper on the ground but I havent done that route for some years so not sure of current prices. I would have thought a few hundred baht each. Be easier to fly into Krabi. From there you can ferry it or bus/short ferry.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/4/2013 at 23:36

Pretty sure the ferries to Lanta stop running May-October, in which case you have to get there by road via Krabi and two short vehicle ferry crossings from the mainland.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by chocgirl on 9/4/2013 at 04:34

I am only aware of Tigerline ferry that goes down Andaman coast: Phuket to Langkawi, with stops at ao PP, Lanta, Lipe? It runs between November and April only, as Captain Bob already indicated.

#4 chocgirl has been a member since 9/3/2010. Posts: 21

Posted by Captain_Bob on 9/4/2013 at 09:18

Yes Tigerline, but also the standard ferries Krabi-Lanta and PhiPhi-Lanta usually stop May-October
http://www.lanta-islands.com/getting-to-lanta.php
http://www.lantainfo.com/getting_ko_lanta_krabi.htm
http://www.welovekohlanta.com/ferries
etc...

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 9/4/2013 at 09:36

Not sure whether they stop april 30 or mid May. But if Lanta is your priority then flying into Krabi makes a lot more sense.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by wanderer143 on 21/4/2016 at 00:29

You can simply buy at the ferry but booking in advance is definitely much more convenient. FerrySamui.com is a good ferry booking agent who offers the cheapest ferry tix. I'm a budget traveler and I always use FerrySamui when booking as they offer the most affordable ferry prices. If you happen to get a cheap ticket somewhere else, simply discuss it with them and they'd be willing to give a much lower price. They're associated with dependable ferry companies too.

#7 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 34

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.