Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand in the June?

Posted by jennigun on 15/4/2013 at 21:39

My boyfriend and I will be in Southern Thailand for the month of June.

Any advice on traveling in the "down" season? I heard through the grapevine it can be difficult to find accommodation because a lot of places shut down. Is this true?

We are flying into Krabi, and we have about 3 weeks to work our way to Ko Samui. We want to see Khao Sok and do some diving (we are SCUBA certified). Any recommendations for where we should go? Are the Trang islands worth checking out? If so, which ones?

We want to avoid resort areas like Phuket, and although we enjoy lounging on the beach as much as anyone else, we also like to stay active and experience new things! Any advice?

#1 jennigun has been a member since 25/12/2012. Posts: 27

Posted by Captain_Bob on 16/4/2013 at 09:17

"I heard through the grapevine it can be difficult to find accommodation because a lot of places shut down. Is this true?"

Most of the popular beach destinations are open year-round. Some west coast islands which are further off the coast get quiet June-Sep due to seasonal rough weather and limited ferry connections, but most of the hotspots stay open. June weather (and SCUBA diving) is best in the lower Gulf of Thailand, which includes Ko Samui, Ko Phangan, and Ko Tao. June-August tons of N. American and European backpackers on summer break (and their families) come to Thailand so don't worry too much about things being "shut down". Just check weather reports and follow the sun...

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/4/2013 at 09:36

There's a lot of misinformation going around. Sure some resorts close during low season but that's only at the quiet locations. Trang islands are nice. I like Trang town as a base but otherwise I would choose Ko Muk.

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by jennigun on 16/4/2013 at 10:10

Great, thanks so much!

#4 jennigun has been a member since 25/12/2012. Posts: 27

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.