Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Confused as to which Thai Visa to apply for?

Posted by chicoelnino on 16/4/2013 at 12:29

I want a 60 day visa so I apply for a tourist visa, double entry tourist visa or triple entry tourist visa??

I don't understand what each one means.

Say I want to stay 60 days, and then stay for another 60 days after that - what visa do I apply for then?

What is the "number of desired entries" on the application relating to?

Sorry for the basic questions, it's just I'm a little confused at the moment.

Thanks.

#1 chicoelnino has been a member since 17/9/2010. Posts: 66
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by KirstyB on 16/4/2013 at 17:55

Each entry is valid for a stay of up to 60 days and can be extended for a further 30 days at an immigration office once in Thailand (at a fee). Therefore the maximum stay without leaving the country on a tourist visa is 90 days.
If you apply for a double entry you will be able to enter Thailand twice within the validity of the visa; each time for 60 days, each time extendible by a further 30 days. A triple entry 3 times on the same terms.
"Say I want to stay 60 days, and then stay for another 60 days after that - what visa do I apply for then?"
For this you would need a double entry visa but you will have to leave Thailand and re-enter in order to activate the second 60 day entry. This can be done on a day "visa run" if you don't want to visit another country in between the two stays in Thailand.
"What is the "number of desired entries" on the application relating to?"
1 = single entry; 2 = double entry, 3 = triple entry
Hopefully that explains it!

#2 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Send KirstyB a private message   Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by chicoelnino on 17/4/2013 at 17:43

This is a perfect explanation, thank you very much.

One last question.

Say I get a triple entry visa and decide after my second stint of 60 days in Thailand, to leave the country and explore Cambodia/Vietnam for a few months. When I enter Thailand again(say 2 months after leaving it) will I get my 3rd 60 day visa then? Or do I have to use the visas one after another?

#3 chicoelnino has been a member since 17/9/2010. Posts: 66
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by KirstyB on 18/4/2013 at 10:47

I believe but I'm not 100% on this that a triple entry visa will be valid for 6 months from issue - ie if if is issued on 1 May you need to have completed all your entries by 1 November. That's entered Thailand to activate the third entry before the visa expires, not completed the final 60 day stay. Still make sense?!

#4 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Send KirstyB a private message   Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.