Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

From Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to the train station.

Posted by atarigangster on 26/4/2013 at 03:27

I'm landing in Bangkok at noon on Friday, May 3 and making my way immediately to Chiang Mai via train. (Something I want to experience as part of my time in Thailand.) I'm gunning for one of the overnight trains.

Should I go to Hualamphong Train Station (centre of Bangkok I guess) or try and nab a shuttle to Don Muang airport (which I'm sure there are, right?) and purchase my ticket there instead? I'm not super pressed for time but want to use it effectively.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1 atarigangster has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by sayadian on 26/4/2013 at 04:07

Are you sure you want to commit your body to another night of travelling after what I assume to be a long-haul flight?
I doubt you'll get a sleeping berth at such short notice.You may not even get a 2nd class seat. A long night in 3rd class awaits you. Not very comfortable.
If your interested in flying why don't you look on http://www.skyscanner.net/ and book rather than just turning up, which is a risky strategy.
The only other way would be to take a coach from Morchit Station, more comfortable than a 3rd class train.
From Suvannabhumi take the train to Payathai and change to a BTS train to get to Hualamphong or Morchit. You can get a shuttle from Suvannabhumi to Don Mueng if you've booked a flight from there.

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 26/4/2013 at 04:28

"Should I go to Hualamphong Train Station (centre of Bangkok I guess) or try and nab a shuttle to Don Muang airport (which I'm sure there are, right?) and purchase my ticket there instead?"

Seems like a waste of time. Buying the ticket at Don Muang station doesn't have any advantage over Hualamphong. Also, as Sayadian indicates above, a relatively sleepless night on a train might be a bad idea after a presumably long flight into Thailand. In your situation I would connect by air from BKK to Chiang Mai (Thai Smile and Bangkok Airways depart BKK not DMK so you don't even need to change airports) then enjoy/relax in Chiang Mai, then get your train experience heading back south. Just a suggestion.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by atarigangster on 26/4/2013 at 06:29

I currently live in South Korea so my flight is actually only about 5 hours and it's direct. I've traveled for 24+ hours easily before when crossing the world and then immediately gone out for the night. I don't know why, but my body is built for travel.

I can't book the flight ahead of getting there because of some credit card issues, so that's why I'm looking at the train option if I can't hop on a flight.

#4 atarigangster has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by Captain_Bob on 26/4/2013 at 08:48

Fair enough. It's low season now so I wouldn't worry much about sleeper trains being full. If you want to book in advance see the following links:

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets,_from_outside_Thailand
http://www.thailandtrainticket.com

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by atarigangster on 26/4/2013 at 08:56

Ah, awesome! Thanks for those links.

I figure if worst comes to worst I spend a night in Bangkok. Friday in Bangkok? Worst things have happened ha. (Like the time I left southern Germany for Scotland and ended up in Berlin... but I digress.)

#6 atarigangster has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.