Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Re-entry when you've already used a single entry visa?

Posted by mtothes on 26/4/2013 at 08:50

Hi all,

After ringing the Thai embassy in London and waiting on hold for half an hour to no avail, I thought I would ask you guys.

I'm going to be in Thailand in June for about 20 days (overland via Malaysia).

I then want to travel through Laos and Vietnam, re-entering Thailand via Cambodia in late July.

Am I right in thinking I should get a single entry tourist visa in advance for my first visit (20 days) and then I'll be able to get the 15 day visa waiver when I return in July? Or do I need a double entry visa?

I read somewhere that you need to use all 60 days on a tourist visa for you to be able to claim a visa waiver on re-entry - is this true?

Thanks for your help!

#1 mtothes has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by Captain_Bob on 26/4/2013 at 09:45

"I read somewhere that you need to use all 60 days on a tourist visa for you to be able to claim a visa waiver on re-entry - is this true?"

No it isn't. The visa expires when you leave Thailand. Then at any given time entering Thailand regardless of previous visas/entries you can get a visa-exempt entry, provided your nationality qualifies for it. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand

"I'm going to be in Thailand in June for about 20 days (overland via Malaysia)"

If you enter Thailand by land border visa-free you get only 15 days (exception being if you are Malaysian entering from Malaysia you get 30 days).

"Am I right in thinking I should get a single entry tourist visa in advance for my first visit (20 days) and then I'll be able to get the 15 day visa waiver when I return in July? Or do I need a double entry visa?"

If entering by land and not Malaysian national you would either want to get a tourist visa in advance or just get the 15 days free then extend at Immigration 7 days for 1900 baht. Re-entering Thailand from Cambodia visa-exempt you'll get 15 days. No worries.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Posted by mtothes on 26/4/2013 at 10:06

Great, cheers for your help mate!

Also, I don't need exact dates when applying for the visa do I?

#3 mtothes has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.