Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

trekking without a hill tribe?

Posted by jennigun on 28/4/2013 at 03:43

hello - we will be in chiang mai/chiang rai area for 2 weeks starting May 1st. We would like to do a trek that does not involve a hill tribe - it is a little too commercialized for our taste. Any recommendations for tour operators? Thanks!

#1 jennigun has been a member since 25/12/2012. Posts: 27
 Send jennigun a private message 

Posted by captainbkk on 28/4/2013 at 07:02

never ever have heard/seen that in that area-even if only you have to stay overnight and all small villages in the mountains are by some tribeys. Maybe our dear other captain knows more-he works and lives in that area and his wife runs such an agency. In short; for the right sum ANY silly wish of any foreigner can be accustomed for. Perhaps climbing Thailand highest mountain, Doi Intanon, qualifies.
Do you motosy? here are so many set-out tours, advice etc for such bikers in that area.

#2 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by MADMAC on 28/4/2013 at 07:10

Captain - I think he means where some tribe or other is the objective of the hike. You know, that whole fishbowl thing. I actually approve of his sentiment, although I don't like hiking or trekking in the first place.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 28/4/2013 at 19:47

5 secs on google will provide alternative operators

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by caseyprich on 29/4/2013 at 00:26

You stay with a hill tribe usually because it is the most comfortable place to stop, i think that is what captainbkk was saying. I went with Pooh Eco Trekking (Chiang Mai) and we stayed with a family, partied with the locals and tasted some local food - but it wasn't an objectifying thing and a share of the money goes to the family. They also rotate families and do a pretty sustainable job of things. The two night trek involved a second night staying in a cabin built by the river - very quiet and nice. So, even though it involves a 'hill tribe' it is not exploitive and very interesting.

http://www.pooh-ecotrekking.com/index.html

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.