Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

AMEX TC vs VISA or Master Card TC

Posted by yayo12 on 26/6/2007 at 00:07

Hi everyone:

Just wondering if someone can help me with this issue.
I've been reading as much as I can about how convenient it is to take TC to mainland ASIA. It seems that with an ordinary ATM card and some cash TC are a good option, what i havent found yet is what type of TC are the best to take.
Is it Amex TC? I know they are the easiest to find in Mexico (where I live) but im more interested in the type that would be easier to cash in Asia and the one with fewer comissions.

I'll be travelling through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and VN

Thanks

#1 yayo12 has been a member since 19/6/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/6/2007 at 07:50 admin

Hi yayo12,

As far as I know the commission is the same regardless of what brand the travellers cheques are and have not heard of any problems with any particular brand. If AMEX is the easiest to get in Mexico, then I'd say go with that.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 27/6/2007 at 22:16

i've never had difficulty cashing TC's denominated in USD no matter which brand. another advantage of the AMEX checks is that you'll be eligible to visit the AMEX offices wherever you go (if there is one) for additional services and sometimes fee-free cashing if you need. cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,650
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.