Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Transfer between Bangkok airports

Posted by kay_kay on 28/6/2007 at 20:27

We are arriving into the new Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok and then need to take a domestic flight down to Surat Thani which leaves from Don Muang. Does anyone have any info on the distance and what means of transport there are between these airports and approximately how long it will take?

Thanks!

#1 kay_kay has been a member since 12/6/2007. Posts: 15

Posted by cybervlad on 29/6/2007 at 11:36

kay_kay, you need bus number 554 or taxi :)
See http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/56
It's too difficult to say how long it will take from one airport to another because it depend of how busy roads will be. So, from 1 to 2 hours, I think.

#2 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Posted by ChangFai on 29/6/2007 at 15:10

Peronally I have never done this journey so I am loathed to comment .

But surely using a taxi and taking the tollways , the traffic would be minimal , and could be done in under one hour .

What a nightmare this two airport siuation is . No wonder many travelers are recommending flying into Changi airport and then onwards to the provincial Thai airports.

#3 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by Rufus on 29/6/2007 at 16:07

One to two hours!!!! You are joking! In peak time expect at least 4 hours by Bus and 2 or so by taxi. The 2 airport system is making travel to Thailand a joke. Fly to Changi instead as the previous poster suggested.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by cybervlad on 29/6/2007 at 18:17

Rufus, you tried it?
While my last visit to Bangkok I get to Suvarnabhumi from Bangamplu for 1h 30min in peak time. What I done wrong? :)

By the way, to get from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang you not need to enter busy Bangkok center.

Of course, it depends on taxi driver experience. If he will transport you from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang via Emerald Buddha temple it will take more than 4 hours :)

#5 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Posted by ChangFai on 29/6/2007 at 19:35

Well , I have done Pattaya to Don Muang in under 2 hours during peak hours , so why anyone would think it takes anymore from Suvarnabhumi baffles me .

Kay_Kay , if you decide on a taxi stress that you will pay the tollways .

#6 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/7/2007 at 06:23 admin

I was in and out of Bangkok yesterday and two days earlier.

Travel times from the new airport to Sukhumvit Soi 23 by taxi on expressway, leaving airport Thursday 4pm was 35 minutes. Returning to the airport again by taxi and tollways Saturday 6am was 20 minutes.

I was told (though have not done it myself) that the trip between airports takes 1-2 hours, though if traffic is in complete meltdown, can take longer.

#7 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Rufus on 1/7/2007 at 10:54

You ask whether I have "done it". Well as I live here, I can say "yes", once or twice. My question is "Have you done it in peak hour, when it can sometimes take half an hour to move 1 km?"

#8 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by kay_kay on 2/7/2007 at 16:50

thanks for all the comments guys....

hmmm there seems to be some kind of discrepancies here ranging from 20 min to over 2 hours! On the map, they don't actually look too far apart but as it appears to me, it really depends on the traffic and the taxi driver! i think we will probably take the risk with the taxi and get on the tollways. I am hoping it won't take more than 2 hours because our transfer time is not so big!

#9 kay_kay has been a member since 12/6/2007. Posts: 15

Posted by kay_kay on 2/7/2007 at 16:52

just had to re-read the thread...got confused!

sounds like 1-2 hours is more realistic then?

#10 kay_kay has been a member since 12/6/2007. Posts: 15

Posted by cybervlad on 2/7/2007 at 19:02

Rufus, I am living in big city too. Usually I need 35-40 minutes to go from home to work. But sometimes (1-2 per year) it takes me up to 2 hours due extremely heavy traffic.
By the way, are described conditions ("take half an hour to move 1 km") applicable to the city center or to the roads between airports too?

kay_kay, note that Sukhumvit Soi 23, Bangamplu and Don Muang located in the different parts of Bangkok. See: https://www.travelfish.org/thailand_map.php
So transfer time may very differs.

#11 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.