Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand Island Splurge

Posted by mcshapir520 on 17/5/2013 at 03:14

Hey Everyone,

My wife and I have been backpacking around Southeast Asia for the past four months and next month we will meet up with my parents in Thailand for one month. We are looking for an island resort to splurge on for a few nights at the end of June for my mom's birthday. I am thinking somewhere on the Gulf coast for weather reasons. Any good value splurge-worthy places in the $100-$150 range? Bonus points if there is a room/villa/bungalow that can fit all four of us!

Thanks in advance!

#1 mcshapir520 has been a member since 23/1/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by tezza on 17/5/2013 at 05:31

Yeah the southern Gulf is most likely to have good weather that time of year.
Lots places fit your ask - google for Ko Nangyuan Dive Resort which is in a very scenic spot about 1km from the north-west tip of Ko Tao. Don't have to be a diver btw - these days midrange travellers outnumber the divers. No pool here last time I visited but good snorkelling off the beach.
Other possibilities - Panviman and Santhiya on Thong Nai Pan - east coast of Ko Phangan.
Pllus dozens of others particularly on Samui.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,344

Posted by MADMAC on 17/5/2013 at 08:57

I'd check out Agoda. I did this with my mother and found a place in Pattaya - yes Pattaya - it was FANTASTIC. We got a rate one third the normal rate. Room was HUGE, with mahogany floors, big picture window the length of the room overlooking the ocean. Private beach that was cleaned constantly and infinity pool. Piano bar... couldn't be beat. We stayed there for three nights - four of us - USD 278.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 17/5/2013 at 13:17

Another false belief weather is bad on the other side. It baffles me. Been going year after year and getting tons of sun. I don't understand why this is. I must have been visiting a different Thailand.

I know a really nice bungalow resort for $30 a night which is a steal but it's not on your side so you'll have to miss out.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.