Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travel from Bangkok to Siem Reap on Christmas Day?

Posted by rustythomson on 19/5/2013 at 03:54

Hi Everyone,

First time posting on this forum but I have been reading it for a while it's got a lot of great information

My question is regarding travel on Christmas Day 2013. We are travelling to bangkok and have already organised accommodation etc in Siem Reap from 25-29th December 2013 as we have a flight on the 29th out of Siem Reap to Sihanoukville. We were planning to bus from Bangkok to Siem Reap and just realised that we were planning to do this on Christmas Day? Does anyone know if these busses and mini vans etc will still be running on Christmas Day? Or do they stop operations around western holidays?

Thank you!!

#1 rustythomson has been a member since 19/5/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by sayadian on 19/5/2013 at 05:23

I am pretty sure most bus and train services will be running as usual in both countries. They are aware of Xmas and you see toy reindeers and decorations around but Xmas is not a holiday to the people of this region. Songkhran in Thailand and New Year in Cambodia is the main holiday during April, then you might have problems but certainly not for Xmas. Saying that some hotels use it as an excuse to double their rates.

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 20/5/2013 at 06:02

No problem about buses /trains runing, Christmas is just a normal day (although do not be surprised to see decorations and hear carols being played as well as kids exchanging presents)

Buy your ticket at least the day before to be on the safe side

#3 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 757
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by rustythomson on 7/10/2013 at 21:03

Thanks for the responses. Next question is about booking one of these buses? We will be in Bangkok for the 23rd and 24th of December and we were wondering if we should just turn up to the bus stop on 25th and try get a bus? Or if we should book it somehow during the 2 days we are in bangkok beforehand? Or do we need to book it even earlier than this? If so, where on the internet can I book? Thanks!!

#4 rustythomson has been a member since 19/5/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by amnicoll on 8/10/2013 at 04:55

DO NOT use the Kao San Road scam buses

Buy in advance

#5 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 757
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.