Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travel card type

Posted by shaungt08 on 3/6/2013 at 04:26

I was wondering what type of ATM card should I apply for either a Visa or MasterCard. When applying I was asked and I don't know which ATM is most popular in Thailand; prefferably Koh Samui, Koh Tao, Ko Phangnan and Bangkok.

#1 shaungt08 has been a member since 7/10/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 13
 Send shaungt08 a private message   Twitter 

Posted by busylizzy on 3/6/2013 at 15:03

Both Mastercard and Visa are fine in Thailand.

If you're looking for an ATM card, you want to check which network it's used for. Make sure that it has the Cirrus or Plus logo on the back.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by sirhalberd on 3/6/2013 at 21:43

I have both Visa and MasterCard debit cards. Both work okay for me in Thailand. Although I do use my MasterCard more often because the credit union pays some of my ATM charges.

You must tell your bank or card provider that you will be in Thailand before you leave home. Otherwise your ATM withdrawals may be denied because of suspected fraud. There is a fee of 150 baht per ATM withdrawal so keep that in mind when you get cash from an ATM.

No problem with travelers checks in major cities like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai. The fee to cash a travelers check is 33 baht per check. Only bring the largest denominations. Currency is easy to convert to Thai baht in one of the many bank money money changers. Only bring large denominations that are not old and worn.

Don't rely on a single source of spending money. You could lose or damage your card and be out of cash.

Good luck.

#3 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 5/6/2013 at 06:15

Visa is best but in asia it makes no differance where as in some countries it can be very hard to find anywhere that will accept Mastercard.

Get an N&P account and you will find it is one of the very few UK debit cards with no foreign transaction charge

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 757
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.