Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Night train from BKK to Chiang Mai

Posted by sassafrass on 6/6/2013 at 01:00

I really would like my daughter to experience the night train but I hear that the tracks can be washed out in July due to rainy season. What exactly does this mean if you are on a train and how likely is this. Is it a better idea just to fly? I know we would save time but I really enjoyed the train last year. Thank you for your insight and help!

#1 sassafrass has been a member since 22/5/2013. Posts: 7

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/6/2013 at 06:43

Pretty much every year sometime around June-Aug there have been minor flood problems affecting railway track in the vicinity of Uttaradit, Denchai, or Lampang. Remember that sinkhole last year?

7961879358_be314cabcd_o.jpg

It's not really a safety issue though. It just means they either cancel the route or re-route a portion of the journey by bus until repairs are complete. So it's good to check the State Railway website for updates during rainy season.

http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/?language=1
https://www.facebook.com/thairailticket

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sleeper train is a fun mini-adventure and quite safe. The trains move so slowly it would be hard to have an accident ;-)

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by captainbkk on 6/6/2013 at 09:29

do not expect any update to be accfurate or timely. Expect dalys, more delays and if s..t happens as fotoed, to be whisked of that train and into buses. Which is in fact not really that much different from what happens in such cases anywhere else in this world, likely even your country. Reroutes are not possible as its a single dead-end long line.

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by sassafrass on 6/6/2013 at 09:52

Wow! I did not know about the sink hole last year! I think we may take it just for the simple fact that it is a mini adventure. My partner and I took it last year and really enjoyed all of the people we met. Although it was not rainy season when we took it. My daughter is 13 and it will be a good into to learn that the best attitude for travel is to go with the flow~ No I'm not a masochist, just an adventurer~ Thanks for your help guys!

#4 sassafrass has been a member since 22/5/2013. Posts: 7

Posted by stoneman on 26/6/2013 at 08:18

I've travelled this route in June/July twice before & will be doing so again early August. No one can expect the unexpected. If your paranoid choose an airline.

#5 stoneman has been a member since 8/5/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 100
 Send stoneman a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.