Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Mae Chan

Posted by Pocohantas on 11/6/2013 at 08:23

Hi

Has anyone been to Mae Chan? Is it worth visiting? I can't find any info on it....

Many thanks

#1 Pocohantas has been a member since 10/5/2013. Posts: 23
 Send Pocohantas a private message 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 11/6/2013 at 10:10

There's a winery there but Thai wines are usually terrible. If you don't know anything about it why do you want to visit?

Doi Tung is worth a visit if passing by but I wouldn't go out of my way for that area. I found it a bit dull. The area south to Phayao has better scenary and Wat Ananlayo is good.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by chopin on 11/6/2013 at 10:53

Mae Chan doesn't seem to have attractions that can stand on thier own which would compel people to make it a destination. I see it more as a town that we pass by on the way from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai, or as a turning point to Mae Salong from Chiang Rai. There's not much info on Mae Chan because areas surrounding it are more attractive. If anyone has nice stuffs to share about this area, would love to hear.

#3 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154
 Send chopin a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/6/2013 at 11:50

It's a totally nowhere town next to the highway in between Chiang Rai and Mae Sai. If you want to spend some extra time in between Chiang Rai and Chiang Khong I would go to Chiang Saen. Much more to see and do there. Otherwise go up into the hills at Doi Tung or Mae Salong.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by Pocohantas on 15/6/2013 at 11:09

Thank you everybody for your replies. In answer to Leonard's question I know someone who lives there and that's why I was wondering if it was worth making a detour

#5 Pocohantas has been a member since 10/5/2013. Posts: 23
 Send Pocohantas a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.