Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

lao cosulate in khon kaen

Posted by topogene on 24/6/2013 at 00:50

24 6 2013
Khon kaen

The new location of the lao consulate here in k k is on the main road north to udon about 1 k north of the new tesco/locust, the consulate is on the east side of the road, opposite Raja City, with big walls outside and a large lao flag inside. You can take the # 4, dark green, sontell from the non a/c bus station, 10 Bt. For the US its was 1600 Bt for a one month visa return in about one hour or less.
Have a good trip TopoGene

#1 topogene has been a member since 23/6/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 24/6/2013 at 03:37

Are there any more boarder crossing points where you can't get a visa on arrival? In the old days, when going into Laos from Mukdahan, you had to get a visa first. But that's no longer true and I heard that's not true in NKP as well, now that the new bridge is up. Anywhere along the Thai / Laos border you can't get your visa when crossing anymore?

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by topogene on 24/6/2013 at 03:52

24 6 2013
k k

I have only crossed between Thailand and Lao at 5 different crossing so far in the pass 4 years. I made a point at getting a visa before and Khon Kaen was convenient. There are several border crossing between Thailand and Lao that are only open for locals, no third parties allowed. I have not yet heard of any of the Thai/Lao crossings that are open to foreigners not having visa on arrival.
Have a good trip TopoGene

#3 topogene has been a member since 23/6/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 24/6/2013 at 09:23

topogene
FYI you can cross right now at Nong Khai, NKP and Mukdahan without a visa prior. I don't know about any other points though. This would be useful for folks to know, so if anyone out there knows about the other crossing points feel free to chime in.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by SBE on 24/6/2013 at 11:49

I have only crossed between Thailand and Lao at 5 different crossing so far in the pass 4 years....I have not yet heard of any of the Thai/Lao crossings that are open to foreigners not having visa on arrival.

Weird. Which border crossings were you using and who have you asked? I've only been to Laos once and that must have been at least 10 years ago. There was absolutely no problem getting a VOA at Huay Xai even back then.

There's already a dedicated border crossing section with visa info on TF, don't know how up to date it is.

https://www.travelfish.org/border_crossings/laos

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by exacto on 24/6/2013 at 13:59

When I was in Bueng Kan, Thailand in early 2010, you could cross over to Laos, but only if you already had a Lao visa in hand. They didn't offer visa on arrival, at least at the time. There didn't seem to be long lines of people crossing over. But if you needed to cross at Bueng Kan for whatever reason, it might be more convenient picking up a visa in Khon Kaen than making your way to Laos via Nong Khai or NKP. If nothing else, it is another reason to stop off in Khon Kaen on the trip north. Yet it does seem that the 1600 baht is quite a bit more than you'd pay in USD for a visa at the border - about the equivalent of 600 baht or so more. Regards.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by captainbkk on 25/6/2013 at 05:50

AFAIK or have learnt its now either of these 2:
open for anyone-and then always visa on arrival issued-price varies with nationality. ANY bridge or soon to have bridge place+More.
ONLY open for Thai/Lao and hence no strange farang allowed through (coming off Th Thai emigration wont let you pass anyway there) so the issue of no visa on arrival seems mute then
Visa in hand only saves you maybe 5 mins of waiting time.

#7 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 25/6/2013 at 23:18

Chong Mek has had VOA for years. All you need is a photo and the cash. Takes about 5 min as stated.

#8 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.