Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Getting from Kanchanaburi to Prachuap

Posted by karibou on 4/7/2013 at 19:24

I'm hoping to travel from Kanchanaburi to Prachuap Khiri Khan in a single day without going through Bangkok. I was thinking of first getting to Nakhon Pathom somehow and from there taking a train the rest of the way. I've read, though, that trains on the southern line are notorious for lengthy delays. I'm concerned that this might make it a really exhausting day of travel. My preference is to go by train; second choice government bus.

Can anyone weigh in? Any realistic estimates of travel times? Is it possible to travel above third class on this train route? (Not interested in a night train, though.)

Btw, I'm a middle-aged woman traveling solo on my first trip to Thailand. Thanks for any input!

#1 karibou has been a member since 14/2/2013. Posts: 63

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/7/2013 at 20:57 admin

Easiest option would be to get a morning bus from Kanchanaburi to Ratchaburi (takes about two hours) which will plonk you on the main north-south railway from where you'll be able to get a train onwards south to Prachuap Khiri Khan - takes 2-4 hours depending on the train.

The 43 Special Express might work - timetable here or perhaps the rapid 171 - timetable here.

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by captainbkk on 5/7/2013 at 05:29

yes-bus direct to ratch (ev 20/30 mins-local bus) is faster-cuts off a hook of triangle- but you may want to go via NP to see the giant chedee.Sp. Expr does NOT have 3d cl-only AC 2nd cl seats and also a whopping high supplmt-as its the same for 30 or 300 kms.
Most comfy are the blue 1s cl. (known as govt bus by unknowing ignorant farang) buses to/fro Sai Thai-which sits so far west of BKk youll not see anything of that town.
IF you can manage 3d cl for so long-well, that all depends on how lenient you are and how soft your ass is. In any case do NOT make the tipical seat61.om mistake by doing it all by train-thats a sure recipe for misery. The prob is that long-dist luxury buses in Th all run to/fro BKK without intermediate stops-you'll have to balance that against a series of uncomfy 3d cl. buses between next towns. And do check how far your acomm in PCK is away from the train stop

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by altmtl on 7/11/2013 at 12:13

If I wanted to do this in the opposite direction, I suppose I would still switch for the bus or train in Ratchaburi or Nakhon Pathom.... The thing is I wanted to make a stop at Amphawa Floating Market Train Market on the way...

#4 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by captainbkk on 8/11/2013 at 01:02

in that case-and again: its fairly duuuhhh to post quite another Q not apart- you must realise-again a thing thats in any guidebook:
Ampw is only weekends AND its late day-other as most floatees-which means an overnite there is about unavoidable and no hard sweat anyway.
I believe you strongly belong to the train-only sect: so thats a succession of local pickups=songhthaews from Ratchburi-open mouth, lookj puzzled and they'll point you out. The vans from PKK are much quicker and can set you off at a pont with just 1 transfer to ampw nearby on the main road.

#5 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by altmtl on 8/11/2013 at 01:35

Yes I know Amphawa is weekend only & I planned to to stay overnight, I have no problem with taking the bus to Kanchanaburi from Ratchaburi - may spend the night there - I just wanted to know the easiest route?

#6 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992

Posted by altmtl on 8/11/2013 at 08:53

I found these as well...

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/12063_kanchanburi-to-samut-songkhram-by-public-transport

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2277346

#7 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 992

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.