Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Traveling from Pai to Ko Samui

Posted by Bram89 on 12/7/2013 at 05:15

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my holiday in Thailand, but I want some advise.
What's the best way to travel from Pai to Ko Samui?

Better to fly from Pai to Chiang Mai? Or take a bus? Or go to another village?
We don't want to spend too much time, so we can spend some more money.

Kind regards,

Bram

#1 Bram89 has been a member since 21/5/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 12/7/2013 at 12:45

Is Pai airport operating? It's only a short drive. Bangkok Airways owns Samui Airport and they also fly CM to BKK. Otherwise Thai flies to Samui but I think their flights are very early morning so you wouldn't be able to connect same day.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by exacto on 12/7/2013 at 13:49

Hi Bram,

If time is more important than money, I'd go overland Pai to Chiang Mai and then fly from there to Samui via Bangkok Airways. If you are willing to spend a little more time to save a little more money, you might look into flying from Chiang Mai to Surat Thani via a discount airline like Air Asia (most likely changing planes in Bangkok) and then catch the bus-ferry combo from the Surat Thani airport. The advantage of taking the ferry over to Samui is the boat trip takes you through some gorgeous scenery.

Please let us know what you decide, how much it cost, and how it worked out for you. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,686
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 13/7/2013 at 00:45

Yes the ferry trips to islands are always very scenic and enjoyable. I've looked at Bangkok Air and their cheapest BKK-Samui flights are 3300 baht but go up to 5000 baht if you don't book early. Air Asia and Nok Air often have specials around the 1000-1200 baht mark.

Do check the airports in BKK though as there's 2 airports but if you stick to the same airlines then it's the same airport.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by Captain_Bob on 13/7/2013 at 03:30

Kan Airlines http://www.kanairlines.com is the only flight option Pai-CM but sometimes delayed or cancelled in rainy season. More reliable just get a minivan from the AYA Tour office in the middle of town, takes 3 hours. Then there are direct Bangkok Airways flights CNX-USM. http://www.bangkokair.com

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by Bram89 on 15/7/2013 at 02:23

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been searching on the internet and we decided to go over land from Pai to Chiang Mai. There we catch a plane to Bangkok and Surat Thani, than take the boot to Kho Phangan. We skip Ko Samui because it's too touristic and it doesn't have something special. So we want to party at Kho Phangan and than relax at Ko Tao! :)

To go back to Bangkok we take the ferry to Chumphon and there we'll take the train to Bangkok.

I'll keep you posted!

Bram

#6 Bram89 has been a member since 21/5/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 15/7/2013 at 07:56

Pha Ngan and Tao are full of tourists as well. What special things are you looking for?

#7 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by Bram89 on 16/7/2013 at 01:50

Tourist are not a problem... I'm a tourist too haha!
But I heard that Samui is a bit overcrowded, so we skip that island and directly go to Phangan.

We are not looking for a beach for our own, but don't want to be with 100000 people on 1 beach.
And I like to do some snorkeling, so Tao is than great!

Any tips for these islands? Or for Pai?

#8 Bram89 has been a member since 21/5/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/7/2013 at 10:25

Samui doesn't have 100,000 people on the beach, not even 1,000. The only time I've seen more than 1,000 people on the beach was at Pha ngan around the fmp crap.

Phan gan has crap snorkelling. Tao has some as does Phi Phi, Krabi islands and the Trang islands.

#9 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by Bram89 on 27/8/2013 at 05:32

Hi everyone,

We're back from an amazing trip to Thailand, really enjoined!

About travelling from Pai to Phangan:

We took a mini van from Pai to Chiang Mai and staid another night in CM.
We flew really early (6 am) to Surrat Thani, took the bus/ferry combi (high speed catemaran) to Phangan.
The only thing was that we had to wait a few hours in Surrat Thani. http://www.lomprayah.com/E/index.htm

Costs:

Mini van 100 bath
Flight 125 euro (booked a few weeks before)
Bus/Ferry 600 bath

Enjoy!

Bram

#10 Bram89 has been a member since 21/5/2013. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.