Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Buddhist holiday on July 23?

Posted by gregmccann1 on 12/7/2013 at 12:23

I've been told that July 23rd is a Buddhist holiday in Thailand. This also happens to be the day that I arrive in Thailand for a short (6 day) trip. I can go a day without beer, no problem (sort of), but...the FIRST DAY? No beer on my arrival day? Haven't been to Thailand in a year and I am very happy to be coming back and I wanted to celebrate. And now I hear that the sale of alcohol will be banned on that day. Are there any places that will sell it anyway?

#1 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 183
 Send gregmccann1 a private message   Website 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 12/7/2013 at 12:49

There's always places that sell under the table.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by exacto on 12/7/2013 at 13:52

What about the duty-free on arrival shops? Can you buy a beer or three there and maybe a bag of ice when you arrive? As I remember, even when the 7-11's and bars aren't selling beer, often times sit-down restaurants are. Or as Leonard suggests.....

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by gregmccann1 on 13/7/2013 at 03:29

I thought that Duty Free only sold whiskey and vodka (which I'm not so fond of -I love beer). I almost never stop in to have a look around Duty Free shops, but I will do so this time. Thanks.

#4 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 183

Posted by Captain_Bob on 13/7/2013 at 03:41

The 23rd is Khao Phansa day, the start of Buddhist Lent and officially a no-booze day for locals, BUT anyone with the will and way gets hold of a few bottles. Bars are strictly prohibited from selling, but hotels are specifically exempt, so your lobby level fridge will likely supply. Or grab some at the airport on your way in and chill with ice at the hotel balcony. Shwing!

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by gregmccann1 on 13/7/2013 at 09:37

Thanks for the info Captain Bob. Feeling better about this now.

#6 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 183

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.