Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok > Chiang Mai train derailed today (July 17)

Posted by DLuek on 17/7/2013 at 00:59 TF writer

Just a head's up to anyone planning to travel this route today... You'll probably want to hit the bus station instead. This looks pretty rough; good thing no one was killed.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Train-derails-in-Phrae-30210630.html

#1 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 17/7/2013 at 11:14

Buses are more dangerous. Sensible people just fly.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by DLuek on 17/7/2013 at 11:35 TF writer

Too bad we can't go the old way - on elephant-back.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 17/7/2013 at 11:38

You want to ride one for 3 weeks? 1 hour is enough for me.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by DLuek on 17/7/2013 at 11:48 TF writer

I was just reading accounts (in the book "The Buddha in the Jungle" by Tiyavanich - a good read) from Europeans and Americans who traveled around in Siam during the 19th century. The only ways to go were boat and elephant. I do wish adventures like those were still possible. Of course, after day three on an elephant I'd probably be regretting it. On the other hand, even with all the king cobras and tigers that still roamed the jungle back then, I imagine those voyages were safer than a typical modern bus ride in Thailand!

#5 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185

Posted by antoniamitchell on 17/7/2013 at 14:51

I love how blase the officials sound about it:

"Derailments happen quite often," said State Railway of Thailand governor Prapat Chongsanguan.

Yep, it's just one of those things....

#6 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 516
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by busylizzy on 17/7/2013 at 16:22

There's a bit of video coverage in our local paper.... http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/8933718/Kiwi-injured-in-Thai-train-crash

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 17/7/2013 at 21:02

No internet and planes back then and 40yo was old age. Just going overseas was a huge mission. Then there's disease that killed many with little medicine to treat any of it. People like to glorify the past and some aspects would have been interesting but also very tough.

#8 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by DLuek on 18/7/2013 at 04:52 TF writer

Agreed. It's easy to romanticize far off places and times. But after seeing cookie cutter concrete house after house where traditional villages and jungle used to stand, I can't help but romanticize.

#9 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185

Posted by busylizzy on 22/7/2013 at 21:08

Seems that there is a spate of horrific bus crashes too....

19 dead in Saraburi crash (tourist night bus, truck and pickup - 4.30am)
22 injured in Prachuap Khiri Khan on Monday
http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/07/19-dead-in-tour-bus-crash-in-saraburi/

#10 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 22/7/2013 at 22:27

Thai buses and trucks crash often. That's why I prefer to fly. Even catching a mini bus for 1-2 hours can be a scary ride. I caught one from Prachuap to Hua Hin and the road between those places is pretty bad now with lots of potholes and bumps in the road. The driver was going 120km on this road and hit a bump with a small child in the back seat hitting his head on the ceiling as the seats in the back has less head room. What did the driver do? Laugh and say kor thort then keep driving fast. And half the time he's on the phone whilst driving with one hand - this sort of reckless driving is very common in Thailand. It's a wonder there's not more crashes.

#11 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by MADMAC on 23/7/2013 at 00:02

"But after seeing cookie cutter concrete house after house where traditional villages and jungle used to stand, I can't help but romanticize."

In the old days it was cookie cutter hovel after cookie cutter hovel. This reminds me of a joke I heard a while back.
"How do our grandfathers refer to the misery of the Great Depression and the slaughter of the WW II?"
"The good ol' days."

"It's a wonder there's not more crashes."

You can say that again. I recently got a driver (it's a long story why) from Sakhon Nakhon to Mukdahan and told the driver "I'll drive" when we got ready to go (it was his truck). He said to me "I can do it." And I responded "I've seen Thai people drive." He laughed and gave me the keys. He was a nice kid.

#12 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.