Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Itinerary help needed

Posted by nivag7 on 18/7/2007 at 16:17

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be in Thailand in the next few weeks with a couple of friends and I need some advice on a few details.

How long would it be worth staying in Koh Phi Phi for in August? We were thinking of a week but will the weather be too severe to stay for that long?

Also, what is the best way of getting from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng? Is the only way to get there through Luang Prabang or are there any direct options? We have approx. 2 weeks to take in Chiang Mai, Laos and finish with a day or two in Bangkok. Is this enough or are we going to be very rushed?

Bear in mind we are students so we might only be able to afford 1 internal flight if we're lucky!

Your help would be appreciated as we are heading next week and need to get a few things straighened before we go.

Thanks a lot!

#1 nivag7 has been a member since 18/7/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/7/2007 at 17:41 admin

August in Phi Phi won't be great -- you'll have a fair amount of rain and the water may be a bit cloudy - not great for snorkelling/diving. The islands on the gulf coast (Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao) are all better in August than Phi Phi.

Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng -- I assuem you're planning to fly, in which case you'll need to go through Luang Prabang. Overland from CM to Vang Vieng will take at least three to four days depending on if you go via Nong Khai and Vientiane or via Huay Xai and Luang Prabang.

More questions? ask away!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by nivag7 on 19/7/2007 at 18:37

Thanks Admin,

We have already pencilled in2 weeks on the Gulf Coast Islands so its good to hear you recommend them.

Thanks for the tips about Phi Phi. We might cut our trip there short and add a few days on to the CM/Laos part of journey.

Flights are really only a last resort if we're stuck for time so we'll head overland probably from Luang Prabang to the south and finish with a few final days in Bangkok.

Thanks again for your help and if I can think of any more questions I'll be sure to ask!

#3 nivag7 has been a member since 18/7/2007. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.