Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

HELP...Thailand itinerary with young kids

Posted by Dorothy on 13/8/2013 at 17:23

Hi, I'm a first timer to Thailand planning to spend a month there this November with my husband and 2 kids (4 & 2). I'd be really grateful of any itinerary advice, tips on what to see, where to stay, places to eat and how to get about.
We'll be flying into Bangkok from the UK and then hoping to get a no frills flight to Australia from Thailand. We'd like to spend some time in Bangkok when we first arrive. Then we'd like to spend some time in the mountains/jungle. With such young kids we wont be up for any major trekking though! So looking for somewhere suitable for young kids. Possibly some time at an animal sanctuary? Finally we'd like to spend some time on an Island, I hear the Andaman Islands better at this time of year? Looking for somewhere quiet, family friendly, great beach, not tooo hard to get to but away from mass tourism if possible? We're not list tickers and would rather spend time getting to know a few places, rather than rush around trying to see everything.

Thanks for reading and I'd really appreciate any advice planning our trip of a lifetime!

#1 Dorothy has been a member since 13/8/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 13/8/2013 at 18:30

Safari World in Bangkok will be good for the kids. You can book a tour thru the hotel or travel agent over there.
Fly to Krabi and stay at Railay or Phi Phi at a good resort would be suitable for the beach time. Forget the mountains with young kids.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by Joelle on 16/8/2013 at 11:34

Hi there,

I did northern Thailand with my kids aged 2 & 4 back then (and me being 7 months pregnant). Chiang Mai would be a good place for you. City + surroundings are nice. For kids, there is a large zoo which is quite good (if you like zoos). From there, you could go into the mountains/jungle. We did Bangkok-Chang Mai with the night train. Perfectly fine and a fun experience for the kids. We rented a 4x4 in Chiangmai to do a 2weeks tour in the north known as the Mae Hong Son loop. Very nice, although I wouldn't recommend it if you plan to travel with public transportation. In rainy season roads are in bad condition (+ with a car you're flexible to stop when the kids are too bored).

Elephant ride is probably a must with young kids. Choose the camp carefully - sometimes animals are mishandled. We did one in the Elephant conservation Center in Lamphang (some 40 km south of Chiangmai), it was good.

Another place I could recommend - Kanchanaburi area. I just a glimpse of it in the last 2 days with my kids now aged 20 months, 4 and 6 years. I am planning to write a detailed review - if you're patient enough to wait a couple of days you can check my blog

I wish you a great trip - feel free to ask if you have questions!

#3 Joelle has been a member since 10/7/2013. Location: Belgium. Posts: 11
 Send Joelle a private message   Where has Joelle been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.