Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

budget accommodation in Baan Mai area of Chiang Ra

Posted by jenniep2102 on 21/8/2013 at 07:46

I'm doing some voluntary work for a month in Chiang Rai and I'm looking to find somewhere relatively cheap. The Foundation I'll be working for have suggested a few places but they are all 500+B a night and are hotels.

I've looked online but the problem seems to be that the Foundation is north of the river in the Baan Mai area, whilst the hostels and town area is on the other side of the river. It has been suggested to me by the Foundation that it might not be safe to cross the river into town at night (I'm working 4.30-9.30pm).

I'm reluctant to take a hotel room on my own, in a quiet part of town as I think I may feel isolated, but equally, I'm not sure about how comfortable I'd feel riding a bike into town at night. Do you think I could rent a scooter? Or does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere more social/cheap homestay to stay in the right area of town? All the homestays I've looked at seem to be 'luxury style resort' ones where it's over 1000B a night.

#1 jenniep2102 has been a member since 21/8/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by KeepCalmnTravel on 21/8/2013 at 10:47

Hi first thing that comes to my mind is trying Hope helps.

#2 KeepCalmnTravel has been a member since 21/8/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 22/8/2013 at 01:29

Take a guesthouse in the center where there are more choices and nightlife, and get a tuk tuk to/from daily.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,910

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.