Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Possible two week itinerary for Southern Thailand, too much for so little time?

Posted by lys36 on 21/8/2013 at 21:35

I'm backpacking through Southeast Asia for November and December and would like to end my trip in Southern Thailand. I only have 15 days as that is what my Visa will offer (I will be in Northern Thailand initially, travelling through Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia and then back into Thailand). I am looking to end my trip relaxing on beaches, meeting up with other travelers and I'm considering checking out the half moon party on Ko Pha-ngan on December 24.

I was thinking of flying into Phuket from Cambodia, mid-December and visiting Ko Phi Phi and/or Krabi and crossing the peninsula for December 23/24 for the party and ending my travels on an island in the east such as Ko Samui and Ko Tao. I am aware that during the time I am going the weather is more suitable for the west side. Would it be better to focus my 2 weeks on one side of the peninsula or is it worth dividing my time up (one week on each coast) and risking the weather?

Very open to suggestions!

#1 lys36 has been a member since 21/8/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 2
 Send lys36 a private message   Instagram 

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/8/2013 at 22:45 admin

That is a lot to fit into 15 days -- I'd be inclined to stay on the west coast and see another island on that coast -- perhaps Ko Lanta or Ko Jum or even go further south to one of the islands out from Trang. If you go across to Samui and island hop to Ko Pha Ngan I think you'll lose too much time travelling around -- what you're suggesting is certainly possible -- perhaps not advisable tho :-)

Here's a few links to more reading to get some ideas for islands etc:
Andaman Sea Islands ideas (there are quite a few!)
Which island out from .Trang?

There's also Railay Bay -- here's the scoop on some accommodation options there...

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,643
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 22/8/2013 at 01:25

"I was thinking of flying into Phuket from Cambodia"

If you fly back into Thailand you get 30 days (visa exemption). Focus on the west coast islands/beaches for better weather. December can still be very rainy on the east coast and the party scene on Ko Phangan then can be a crowded nightmare with rough seas getting there and back. Fool Moon Fever. ;-)

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,910

Posted by SBE on 22/8/2013 at 01:32

I expect there will be a full moon party on Phi Phi too.

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by lys36 on 25/8/2013 at 15:45

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll focus on the west coast and avoid the east coast for my time there.
Also thanks @Captain_Bob for letting me know I have 30 more days in Thailand if I fly there!

#5 lys36 has been a member since 21/8/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 2
 Send lys36 a private message   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.