Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand trip october weather

Posted by samdar on 30/8/2013 at 06:54

Hi all
My gf and I are going to Thailand between the 8th and 27th October 2013. We will be in Bangkok and Chang mai till the 16th then samui/phangan till the 25th.
We are aware its monsoon season and expect rain what we would like to know is will there be enough dry spells and sun to sunbathe whilst on the islands.
I know you can't predict the weather. I have spent some time in tropical climate's before where it might rain heavy for an hour or two but be pretty good otherwise and this would be fine for us.
Appreciate your input thanks

#1 samdar has been a member since 30/8/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 30/8/2013 at 08:36

"will there be enough dry spells and sun"
"I know you can't predict the weather"

There's more or less your answer. October is a particularly unpredictable weather month. Usually then the seasons are switching over gradually, during which it can get rainy or sunny just about anywhere anytime. You won't really have an accurate forecast until you wake up that morning. I've lived in Chiang Mai for ten years as a weather nerd and every year is just plain different. What often happens during October, however, is it looks like rainy season is over and then we get hammered with one last blast for a few days. I've also been down on the islands both coasts during Oct/Nov and have lucked out with the weather sometimes, and been stuck inside a bungalow for days other times. With a little luck hopefully you will get some nice sunny spells.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 30/8/2013 at 11:32

scroll down the page - october weather posts a plenty

#3 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by jameswoods11x on 6/9/2013 at 04:18

in a tropical land you van expect rain any time so there is not such surety but rain is not that bad thing ...i am right?

#4 jameswoods11x has been a member since 26/7/2013. Posts: 11

Posted by judyksp on 9/9/2013 at 22:39

I stayed 6 years in Koh Samui and October has been relatively fine except for one year where it rained almost all the time for a few days in a row. But in other years, it has been relatively dry. Just hope for the best. Even when it rains, it is hot, so it is not too bad.

#5 judyksp has been a member since 8/9/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by CunningMcFar on 12/9/2013 at 12:45

ahh, October, my favorite time to be in SE Asia...

#6 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Send CunningMcFar a private message   Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 12/9/2013 at 18:57

Is there a bad time?

#7 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by donderdo on 14/9/2013 at 12:32

End of October should not be a problem.
It's miserably rainy right now though.

#8 donderdo has been a member since 2/7/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by samdar on 15/9/2013 at 07:59

Better raining now. Let's hope it gets it out of the way before we get there.

#9 samdar has been a member since 30/8/2013. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.