Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thai Visas (UK traveller re-entering after 30 days)

Posted by Spaully on 29/7/2007 at 17:17

Posted from within Vietnam.

We (both UK passport holders) flew into Bangkok on the 5th July, spent 3 days there then have been/will be in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos until about the 12th August when we plan to re-enter at the Huay Xai border crossing (Laos-Thailand). After that we fly out on the 15th.

It is unclear from the information on the Thai website whether we need to get a tourist or transit visa for our re-entry, as it lies outside the normal free 30 days.

Does anyone have experience of such a situation? Is the Huay Xia crossing sophisticated enough to notice any infringement (or would the airport officials check when we leave)?

Any answers are greatly appreciated - we should be able to make it to the Hanoi Thai embassy at some point, but if we could avoid that it might save time to file past Ho Chi Minh!

#1 Spaully has been a member since 17/1/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by Spaully on 29/7/2007 at 17:26

Posted from within Vietnam.

Right, having read the information on this site (!) it seems we should be fine - the wording is much clearer than the embassy site.


#2 Spaully has been a member since 17/1/2007. Posts: 4

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by khunwilko on 30/7/2007 at 18:06

If you enter Thailand without a visa your passport (for about 43 countries) will be stamped (free) with permission to stay in the country without a visa for up to 30 days continuously.Technically this is not a visa. On leaving at any time in that period the stamp is canceled and you will receive another on re-entry.

There has however been a clamp-down aimed at people staying in the kingdom long-term and doing monthly "visa runs" year after year - this has resulted in a 90day maximum on this type of entry. This is enforced very inconsistently - at the end of the day it is down to the immigration official in front of you to make a decision.

It would look like you don't intend to stay continuously in the country for over 30 days so you shouldn't get any problems - however if you are going in and out more than 3 times you would be better off going to any consulate and buying a tourist visa.

#3 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by sonicbum on 30/7/2007 at 21:17

A qustion RELATED to this scenario>>>

if you do 3 visa runs in 90 days (the max) can you then go to a neighboring country and get a tourist visa for thailand???? is that possible???


#4 sonicbum has been a member since 28/7/2007. Posts: 14
 Send sonicbum a private message   Website 

Posted by Spaully on 31/7/2007 at 07:45

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks khunwilko, saved us a trip to the embassy - even tour leaders we have spoken seem to give conflicting answers.

#5 Spaully has been a member since 17/1/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by khunwilko on 31/7/2007 at 09:50

You will get a different answer every time in Thailand as they keep moving the goal posts and then often don't enforce the regulations after that

#6 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.