Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Arriving late in Thailand! Advice?

Posted by crystalrsh on 13/9/2013 at 14:15

I am booking my flight today and the one I prefer has a short layover but I will be arriving in Thailand at midnight. I am a solo female traveler and I just want to be careful since I will be traveling alone. I've read its not the best idea to travel alone at night but my hostel is 20-30 minutes away from the airport. Is it safe to travel in a taxi at night from the airport to a nearby hostel?

#1 crystalrsh has been a member since 19/8/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 9

Posted by DLuek on 13/9/2013 at 19:50 TF writer

Hi,

Personally I think it's safe. I mean, there's an element of risk involved in just walking out your door. If you want to be extra safe, you could see if your hostel can pick you up at the airport. Otherwise, choose a flight that arrives earlier so you can use the airport link train or public buses. If you're going to a popular traveler area you could also ask some of the other people in line to see if anyone wants to share a taxi, which of course has the added benefit of making it cheaper for everyone.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,173
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 14/9/2013 at 01:06

Where is your "hostel"??? (typically referred to as "guesthouse" in this part of the world)

If it's in one of the popular backpacker ghettos like Khao San Road then you should be able to find people at baggage claim to share a taxi so you feel more secure. Anyway it's pretty safe. Go to the metered taxi rank on the ground floor, state your destination, get a voucher, make sure the driver turns on the meter, and off you go. Should cost about 300 baht in light traffic late at night (can ask the driver to skip the tollways). Have small banknotes to pay the fare as taxi drivers often can't/won't break large notes (withdraw 9,900b from ATM or make small purchase at the airport). Happy travels =)

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by Geer1 on 14/9/2013 at 01:18

Yeah go to the taxi stand in airport and you should be fine.

#4 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by captainbkk on 14/9/2013 at 05:59

Surprise! That thing so maligned by manty of you;that venerable GUIDEBOOK-even has a special box about it-as so many planes from nervous people arr. BKk by 24.00. Confirming its all OK-just logical thinking -the power of big numbers-should people able to think for themselves tell the same. For dumbfounded USAers; even though you are brainwashed to believe NY is a big apple that never sleeps-its actually BKK. NY cannot sleep due to all that hauling noise of firevans and crimechasing police-BKk just lives 24 hrs.And as BKK is build up, actually hoStels (as most of you newbsies only trust web and thus are misled by such sites) close by airport are much more prone to sit in abandoned dark areas, along freeways without any footpath.
Also IMHO Thailand is one of the very, very few countries where single males are more prone to ill intended people as those single females.
Always very happy to smash some wrong prejudice.

#5 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by MADMAC on 14/9/2013 at 08:01

Well that me start by smashing your prejudice concerning NewYork City. It's a city with serious nightlife and you can go clubbing at three a.m. without a problem. Thailand has closing laws and by two in the morning, almost all clubs are done. I like Bangkok, and it's certainly a lot cheaper than NYC, but it's not more cosmopolitan than New York nor more alive.

Single females travelling at night by taxi are at some risk - at least according to my Thai friends from the Bangkok Salsa scene. The solution of sharing a cab is a good one.

On a side note: "Hostels" are not the same as Guesthouses or hotels. Somehow the term hostel is slowly creeping into the lexicon as synonamous with guesthouse. Just as trekking is slowly becoming synonamous with hiking. The primary difference is that guesthouses provide individual rooms and hostels provide larger bay rooms with multiple beds often shared by people who do not know each other. In Thailand you might also note the term "resort" is also a synonym for "short time hotel". Just an FYI.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by amnicoll on 14/9/2013 at 08:18

as long as:

you take an official taxi from the rank
and you have the name and address of the hostel written in Thai or can give adequate directions when you book the taxi

then yes

#7 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 686

Posted by Geer1 on 14/9/2013 at 10:15

Oh and make sure someone is going to be at the hostel when you get there. Some of those places lock up that late at night.

#8 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by crystalrsh on 16/9/2013 at 07:43

I was thinking about getting a room at Refill Now, I read that it is close to the airport. This all makes me fell better, I wasn't sure if there would be any help getting a taxi so late at night (midnight). And my flight is 21 hrs to Bangkok so I will get tired. Thanks for the help!!

#9 crystalrsh has been a member since 19/8/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 9

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/9/2013 at 08:37

"In Thailand you might also note the term "resort" is also a synonym for "short time hotel". Just an FYI."

The Marriott Resort is a ST hotel is it?

At least half of the 4-5 star hotels near beaches have resort in the name LOL

#10 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/9/2013 at 08:39

"The primary difference is that guesthouses provide individual rooms and hostels provide larger bay rooms with multiple beds often shared by people who do not know each other."

A lot of hostels have private rooms. GHs are all private while hostels have a mix of rooms. That's the difference. Hostels are far more common in European countries though. No need for a hostel in Thailand when GHs are so cheap.

#11 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.