Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Have you done sea kayaking in Phuket or Krabi?

Posted by evrlast985 on 3/10/2013 at 13:51

My buddy and I are going to Thailand for the first time and we really want to go kayaking on the Andaman Sea. We really want to go kayaking to some of the less touristy beaches and maybe spend 3 or 4 nights doing this. Does anyone have any experience with overnight kayak trips? I have not been able to find a lot of information about them. Really appreciate any help you can give me.

I have seen the sites for different kayaking tour operators but I am hoping to get some first hand accounts of what your experience was. Which islands should we target to go to? If not Phuket or Krabi is there a better way to explore some of the islands which are hard to get to?

#1 evrlast985 has been a member since 3/10/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by Geer1 on 3/10/2013 at 14:37

Krabi would probably be a nice place to go kayaking, you might have trouble finding a guide to take you on a multi day trip but it could be possible. I have no first hand experience kayaking there so can't help on reviews etc.

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by boleslav on 3/10/2013 at 17:05

couple years ago there was very good operator on Ko Yao Noi, her name is Kitty, she rented sea touring kayaks, provided info on multiply days kayaking. It was less touristy then Krabi, we did just 2 single days, but it was very nice

#3 boleslav has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 86
 Send boleslav a private message 

Posted by evrlast985 on 4/10/2013 at 11:27

Thank you for your responses, would you recommend making the bookings through a travel agent before we get to Thailand? Is it possible to rent a boat once we are in the city?

#4 evrlast985 has been a member since 3/10/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 4/10/2013 at 12:41

Easy to book over there. I've only done half day and full day trips. The kayaking at Bor Thor and Thalen Bay near Krabi is excellent.

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by JaiYen88 on 4/10/2013 at 13:28

Koh Lanta is great for these activities as well. There are hundreds of tiny islands all around the main island, that you can arrange to explore by kayak or just by boat. Easy to book when you arrive. It's also less busy than Phuket by far, and possibly Krabi, depending on the time of year, so sometimes you might get a whole island to yourself!

#6 JaiYen88 has been a member since 25/4/2012. Posts: 110
 Send JaiYen88 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.